Guinea Pig Estrus - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Guinea Pig Estrus

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that a guinea pig does not bleed in heat?

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 11:19 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I found this info......"bleeding is not normal for guinea pigs, except for a little during birth.Bleeding could most likely be a reproductive system problem or a urinary tract problem."

I havent had piggies that long so i am not sure. I have 2 girls and i never notice any bleeding. Hopefully Amber will be around soon and be more helpful

Lve Never Fails

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 12:04 AM
Adolescent Pup

NO. They do not. If they are and are not giving birth , you need to get with a vet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 12:57 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I took care of 2 females (they weren't mine) and I never saw blood.

*Missy*
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 03:39 AM
Stinky Liverbrain

Yeah, it's not normal... I may be wrong, but I think that bleeding from the perineal are is also a symptom of scurvy. I think a vet visit is in order, as soon as possible.

Dimaris

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 05:49 AM
Rodentologist

Yes, what everyone else said is correct. Guinea pigs do not bleed during their heat cycles, which happen approximately every 2 weeks. If your guinea pig is bleeding, you need to get her to the vet. Bleeding from that area generally denotes a urinary tract infection (treated with antibiotics), a bladder stone (removable by surgery), or a burst ovarian cyst (treated by spaying the pig).
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 07:44 AM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Jade - how is your pig doing this morning?

I agree with everyone. Definitely need to goto the vet. Let us know how it goes.

Guinea Lynx :: Emergency Medical Guide
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 10:50 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

give us some updates, hope your piggie is doing fine

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Sorry to confuse ... I don't have a guinea pig, I was asking only for informational purposes.

Thank you for the info though! I thought they were like chins and just lost the mucous plug.

Stephanie

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

lol....you had us all in the mode!

Lve Never Fails

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 09:08 PM
Rodentologist

Glad you don't have a sick pig on your hands! When guinea pig females go into heat, the only visible sign (to my knowledge) are their changes in behavior. For 1-2 days they become extremely irritable and touchy, and may start mounting cagemates (male or female) if they do not normally do so.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 10:20 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

my 2 girls never bleed, its the same as rabbits as they don't bleed either

Come see more of my fur babies at

Tags
doing fine, guinea lynx, guinea pig, heat cycle, urinary tract infection, vet visit