guinea pigs and cigarette smoke - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

guinea pigs and cigarette smoke

A few weeks ago, I brought home a guinea pig for my sister. They built him a huge cage, and have been doing everything right, but felt he needed a friend. then we came across someone who had 15 guinea pigs, all well loved, but needed to downsize to 2 because her apartment management changed, and changed their rules on small animals. She kept them all in very clean cages, took them to the vet regularly and gave them fresh veggies daily. But she smoked a lot. We brought home one boy, he's about 2 1/2 years old. He reeks of smoke. I bathed him with a mild kitten shampoo, but the smell isn't any better. Any ideas on how to get rid of the smell? I'm also worried about him being addicted to nicotine. he has lived there his whole life, he was born there. Will he go through withdrawals? will he be okay?

There was a sweet long-haired female who i absolutely fell in love with. a few weeks ago, my mom said no guinea pig, but this is sort of an emergency. She needs to get down to two pigs by the first, which is thursday. We took a picture of her, and we'll show that to my mom, and explain the story, and if she agrees, we'll go get her, too. So we might end up dealing with two smokey pigs instead of one...

(i am posting this on a few different websites to get the most input)

4 cats: Radar, Oscar, Mackintosh, Qwilleran
1 dog: Daphne
3 rabbits: Barbarella Bunny. DC's Lucy, Ricky
1 daddy-long leg spider: Spidey
8 assorted tarantulas
1 madagascar hissing cockroach: Lady
3 chickens
1 ball python: Eve
1 corn snake: Charisma
1 California kingsnake: Honey
1 tortoise: Charlie
2 Mali Uromastyx: Nick and Nora
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 05:47 PM
rae
Adolescent Pup

eeee smelly piggy hmm sounds like your doing the right thing, had to bathe my once when he had an extreme case of piggy poo's if you know what i mean, his smell eventually faded, as for the ncotine havnt the foggiest however if you think people can go cold turkey then surley piggies can with no harm to them he just may be grouchy lol, good luck in getting the other pig thats the same way i got my two!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

thanks. he's not as smelly as he was yesterday right after his bath. it was bad when we was a bit damp, but once he was completely damp, the smell got better. I went back today and got that other girl. My mom had originally said no, but one of my rabbits died this morning, so my mom decided to be nice to me and changed her mind. She's super sweet, she's a doll! I lurve her! She's a smooshy pig, with fluffy hair! She'll get a bath in the morning, I didn't have time between picking her up and going to class to do it today. I'm thinking of trying apple cider vinegar to help reduce the smell, as suggested on another forum... I know vinegar is great for cleaning, and the appleness might make it smell good...

8 assorted tarantulas
3 chickens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 06:09 PM
RAT ADDICT

I have no advice,because I am not a smoker and NEVER let anyone smoke around my pets.But I hope your babies smell good soon!

Any pics of the newbies?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

No pictures yet... I got the new girl yesterday, I took my SIL with me, and she totally loved the babies. Last night my BIL's coworker loved our piggies, and wanted his own, so he adopted the two boys that were my girl's sons. We also brought the two babies home for my SIL. Now she's got two females and one male left to rehome. her apartment check is tomorrow, so she's gonna hide them during that time.

8 assorted tarantulas
3 chickens
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 08:34 PM
still waiting for a title

Just wash with baby shampoo, it does wonders!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Leigh Ann, Scott, Patrick, Pumpkin, Gizzy Izzy Wizzy, Brighton, Princess Jill, and Baby Jaqueline
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 08:42 PM
still waiting for a title

baby shampoo is gentle and removes a multitude of smells, some my rescues had a multitude of smells, and cleaned them up nicely.

Leigh Ann, Scott, Patrick, Pumpkin, Gizzy Izzy Wizzy, Brighton, Princess Jill, and Baby Jaqueline
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 08:11 AM
rae
Adolescent Pup

how your piggies settling in and smelling lol!

Tags
guinea pig