Guinea pigs for me? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

Guinea pigs for me?

I had a couple of guinea pigs growing up, but i dont remember them much. I have been thinking of getting another pet and I went to the petstore and looked at some guinea pigs. They were very very timid. If i would touch them they would freak out! I dont remember them being that way. Wont they calm down after I have the settled at my house? Are they actually playful, and seek out human interaction? Will they give kisses? And if I let it out of the cage to run around the room will it poop and pee everywhere or will it go back to its cage?
I have a rabbit who does not get along with other rabbits for whatever reason, do you think that they can play together? (of course with me carefully watching)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 10:36 AM
RAT ADDICT

I would NOT let a GP and bunny play together.It is dangerous,the bunny could kick and injure or kill the pig.Also they have different diets and behaviours.

I guess it depends on the GP.The very first one I got was VERY cuddly.She came from a good home,one of my friends.I then went on to foster a pair of pigs which came from a neglected home and they never got handled or the best of care,so they were very skittish.They freaked out if I tried picking them up and were very shy.Unfortunatly one of them passed on and now I am left with Stuart.He has come around ALOT.He was sooo skittish and shy,but now he runs to greet me and while he don't like being handled too long,he no longer protests if I pick him up.

I would get two...they do much better in pairs.I am in the process of finding another pig to try and bond with my guy.

As for how they interact with humans.I find it is not on the same level as a rat.My rats are very affectionat and LOVE my undivided attention,while my piggy is more so looking for food.Even the first pig I had,that was really cuddly...even she was all about the food.

And while they can be litter trained,I never litter trained mine...so I will let someone else help you there,but they poop ALOT.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

Thanks. They do not really sound like they are for me. I guess I was hopeing they would be like my rats used to be.

I wonder what else I can look into. I want something mainly that loves to have attention and that will give me kisses and hang out with me (like the rats)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 12:38 PM
Rodentologist

When you say that your rabbit doesn't like other rabbits, has s/he been spayed or neutered? Was the potential bondmate spayed or neutered? How long were introductions? It can take months for bunnies to make friends with each other!

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

Yes she has been spayed and so where her bond mate. It took 8 months before I gave up....
I dont think I will ever try it again, altough I would love to have another rabbit.
I tryed to bond her to a young neutered male, and she is an older spayed female. She is almost 6 now.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 06:22 PM
Rodentologist

Have you considered bunny "speed dating"? If there's a local rabbit rescue in the area they can help your bun meet lots of other buns to see who she deals the best with. Some of our older buns have taken up to a year to bond, and most of them even seem to enjoy at least having a bunny buddy nearby.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

I have thought of the speed dating thing but the only resuce that has rabbits usually only has one or two. But thats fine too! I really havent gave it too much thought. I will call the shelter to see if its okay with them if I were to do that.
I read everything I can get my hands on from the house rabbit society and I have the house rabbit handbook... but nothing would work for my current rabbit to bond with the other one. you name it, I tried it with them two! I guess you cant force love right? I heard that two bunnies not being able to bond was very uncommon.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 06:28 PM
Rodentologist

Some rabbits are just very picky. We've got a couple in our sanctuary that for one reason or another really dislike one or more of the other rabbits but are just absolutely in love with some of the others.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Adolescent Pup

You will get conflicting experiences.

Obviously I had a different experience to Vanilla Rat because it was the other way round with me - my rats bit me every time I held them and hated handling, but my guinea pigs are the opposite.
I have had 50 guinea pigs, I'd say about 40 to 45 of them enjoyed handling. Yes - they are very food-obsessed - like dogs! And food is the key to winning their heart. As I didn't have your usual experience with rats, I can't easily compare. But if you want something that is really going to love you and love human contact, I guess, even though it breaks my heart to say this.. you aren't best getting a guinea pig.

I had one rabbit and he was lovely but he didn't like to be picked up. If you want something to cuddle - get a guinea pig, or other rodent, not a rabbit! I am told generally rabbits don't like to be cuddled. I never really got to see the personality of mine because he would forever hump me lol I decided to get him neutered and a few days after the neuter... he was lying dead in his cage.

Slave to:

1 Dalmatian dog

4 gorgeous guinea pigs

1 cute chameleon

2 cheeky chickens

Last edited by Katrina06; 09-02-2008 at 12:54 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

yeah, I agree with katrina...they arent into human contact that much unless it involves food..they can seek your attention during feeding time..lol
But if you want an animal that seeks human attention and cuddles..get some rats..I have two and could not imagine not having them

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

Tags
guinea pig litter box