Have I lost my mind? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Have I lost my mind?

This past weekend I saw the cutest piggie. The SPCA had him at PetSmart. I don't know why but I just have to check out the kids. Well Opie was so sweet and adorable I tried talking my sister into getting him and his cage mate for her kids. She was not interested. So I emailed a few local piggie rescues yesterday. One got back to me today. She said she would take them since they were in a kill shelter. However, she would not be able to take them until after the 29th when she returned from vacation. The poor little things have been at the SPCA since 11/27. I was very worried their time maybe running out. So I asked Jay and we (yeah me) decided to foster them at our house for a week. How bad would I have felt if I went for them next Saturday and it was "too late"? Besides we are both off this week. Now I have two cute piggies to play with this week. I already did a little research. They are in a bunny cage. It's bigger than the SPCA had them in. I bought piggie food. I bought piggie vitamins with C for their water bowl. I bought a carefresh type of bedding. I already had the hay. I gave them a couple of chew sticks. Anything else they need?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Adolescent Pup

Kale, bell peppers, and oranges are good natural sources of Vit C. Vit C in the water doesn't last long so giving lotsa fresh C sources is a good idea (well I think it's a half a cup a day per piggie of fresh stuff). BIG rubbermaid tubs also make good temp. pig pens..get the tallest. I had ONE pig over the years, that could actually jump out of the. PREGNANT even. she scared the crap out of me doing that.
Congrats though. I haven't had cavies for years and got three earlier this year. You sure you want to give it up ??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 09:37 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

yeah i was wondering the same thing. are you sure you only want to foster?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sadie,Jewel,and Zucco
Minnie
Sweetheart

Plus a proud foster momma to Momma and Mable

Proud foster mom to Naomi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 09:51 PM
RAT ADDICT

CongRATS on the fosters...beware tho,fostering often becomes pet ownership...as you just won't wanna give them up!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 03:14 AM
Adolescent Pup

(fostering/taking in rescues and not wanting to give them up is how i have 8 dogs)

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 03:29 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

You aren't crazy. I probably would've done the same thing!! And I'm sure a lot of us here would have, too.

How's it going? Thinking of keeping them? At least there is a good provider for them if you don't.

You are doing such a good thing!!

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

It is going well. They are next to the bunny cage. I am surprised at how interested Oliver and Ophelia are in them. Opie is being so cute now he is cleaning his little face. They both ate and drank right away. They LOVE the hay. I am concerend that Opie is scratching a bit. Although I don't see anything on him. I bought romaine and endive for them and the buns. They didn't have kale today and the buns just finished off what I had 2 nights ago. I also picked up some red peppers. I already have clemetines. I gave Opie a piece of romaine. He ate it right up. I guess I should do salad time now.
Oh and I got blackberries as a special Christmas treat for all of them.
As for keeping them - a woman I work with may take them. She came over yesterday to see them. She was holding Smores and really likes him. She is just not sure if her husband wants another pet. They had an iguna that passed about a year ago. I would love it if they took them b/c I would be the designated piggie sitter! They like to go away for weekends. That would be perfect.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 08:54 PM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathydip
It is going well. They are next to the bunny cage. I am surprised at how interested Oliver and Ophelia are in them. Opie is being so cute now he is cleaning his little face. They both ate and drank right away. They LOVE the hay. I am concerend that Opie is scratching a bit. Although I don't see anything on him. I bought romaine and endive for them and the buns. They didn't have kale today and the buns just finished off what I had 2 nights ago. I also picked up some red peppers. I already have clemetines. I gave Opie a piece of romaine. He ate it right up. I guess I should do salad time now.
It sounds like they may have mites (if he's scratching). Mites are microscopic, so they can't be seen by the naked eye, and scratching is one of the easiest ways to tell they've got them. Treating them even if they don't have mites wouldn't hurt them.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

What would I treat them with? Or do they need to see the vet for the shot?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 10:32 AM
Rodentologist

You can treat them at home, but I really don't recommend it for a new pig owner since you have to have scales, oral syringes, etc. A vet visit would be the easiest way, and they can be treated with ivermectin or revolution, and both can be dose topically (on the skin).
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

I will let their new mommy know to keep an eye on this. I have a great vet to recommend to her.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 06:42 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

take some pics before they go to their new homes, i would love to see what they look like

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

They are at their new home. But I did post pictures in the thread labeled "success".

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Will It Ever Change?

sweet! congrats on the rescue!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan

Tags
cage mate, pet owner, vet visit, water bowl