hedgies and piggies - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

hedgies and piggies

Does anyone have any clue as to whether guinea pigs and hedgehogs can cohabitate?? Trying it and seems to be going ok so far , been a day now. ok thats all for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 11:44 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Do you mean in the same cage? If so, then definitely not. They have very different needs such as diet.

Even out of the cage I would be very careful...hedgehogs are antisocial animals so they aren't going to enjoy being with the guinea pigs anyways.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 11:50 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

EXACTLY!

Its not a good idea.

Lve Never Fails

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 05:50 AM
Will It Ever Change?

ditto

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 11:25 AM
Flunky Emuhead

I have successfully given my pig and hedgie play times together. I have a big plastic kiddy pool that I put them in. They really just sit there and mind their own business. I wouldn't personally house them together though. Living together could be too stressful, one is a social animal, and the other is not, the hedgie needs her space. Also they have different sleeping patterns, and I know that if I had someone coming in while I was trying to sleep, I wouldn't last long. If your piggy is a popcorner (mine is) he could end up hurting himself on the hedgie (you know how uncontrollable pop corning can get ) They also eat different things. Hay for the pig wont hurt a hedgie, because she won't eat it, but pigs shouldn't eat hedgie type food... there's too much fat and protein. Also guinea pigs sometimes eat their own poo, and you really don't want him mistaking hedgie poo for his own. So yes mine do get along, but they don't play together.. well, every once in a while they'll sniff eachother, or chase the other out of the chube tube. I think it really depends on personalities.
So if you've got them in together for play dates thats great, but I think I'd still continue to house them separately.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 happy doggies Luke and Hank

2 Kittehs, Smudge and Phoebe aka Noodle

1 Guinea pig , Radar

1 Hedgie, Newman

3 Degus, Jodi, Wanda, and Mel

1 lovely beta fish "Ian"

Edward the gerbil
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 05:59 AM
Playful Pup

Definitely not. As others said their diets are completely different. Aside from that it's dangerous to house two different species together. They do not communicate in the same way and there could be fighting and other such incidents. I personally am not a fan of even "playtime" together for two different species of animal. It's just too easy for someone to get hurt and it's unnecessary.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Flunky Emuhead

The thing about hedgies though is that there is no way the pig could hurt it, and a hedgie would rather roll up in a ball and hide than attack. Remember, they are both prey animals, neither have much of an aggression drive other than with their own species. Yes, the pig could get injured by a spike, but she'd learn to keep her distance. Remember, people keep dogs and cats happily together, people also keep guinea pigs and rabbits (though it can be dangerous for the pig to get stomped on) Cats live with birds. Having them different species actually makes it easier for them to co exist. but, even though they can potentially coexist, any play time should be kept short, and closely monitored.

1 Guinea pig , Radar

1 Hedgie, Newman

1 lovely beta fish "Ian"

Edward the gerbil
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Rodentologist

Though I realize where you're coming from, pigs can get quite nasty in fights. We had a foster home end up with about a dozen stitches trying to break up a pig fight with their hands.

We also frequently end up with guinea pigs with spinal damage from rabbits.

Small animal species, in general, do not exist well together because they cannot be "trained" (for lack of a better term) like a cat or a dog to tolerate other species as well.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, and at least for like a cat and a dog, they have the whole house to wander around usually. If they get in a fight or want some time away from each other, they can each go off and find their own space. But when you put two animals in the same cage, there's really no where for them to go to get away from each other if they want too. I think as a general rule, it's usually not a good idea to house two diffrent species of animals in the same cage.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 04:12 PM
Flunky Emuhead

I agree with not HOUSING the animals together, but as long as any PLAY time is in a place with AMPLE space, and closely monitored, they should be fine. Like I said my pig and hedgie really just ignore each other. So I think it really depends alot on personality. If they are watched, you can catch any kind of discomfort and put an end to it before any damage is done.

1 Guinea pig , Radar

1 Hedgie, Newman

1 lovely beta fish "Ian"

Edward the gerbil
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 07:02 PM
RAT ADDICT

I don't generally agree with keeping certain species together.Like rats and mice is a big no-no.

However I have raised baby rats up with mice and they got along quite well.The rats would groom the mice and try to play with them or wrestle them.The mice were not afraid,they learned not to be and it was all good.However I ONLY did this when the rats were under 1 yr old and never after - even if they did grow up used to mice and I would never leave them alone together.I watched body language carefully.

So it all depends on the species and a few other things.

But I would NEVER house them together.Hedgies and GP's have a much different diet and requirements.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 02:39 PM
The Title Fairy Was Here

its gonna stress them out

Come see more of my fur babies at

Tags
baby rats, guinea pig, social animals