Help!!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Help!!!!

I have a bit of a problem. My guinea pig that i have had for about 5 months has still not relaxed. I can understand why she is so afraid because her cage mate that i had for 4.5 years died while in the cage with her. And now i am not able to get another piggie. everyday i give her about an hour of floor and cuddle time but it doesnt seem to help. I gave her a little house to hid in so that she can feel more secure but even that isnt helping. i concidered giving her to someone who could give her a home with a second piggie, but i couldnt make myself part with her. If you have any ideas on how I could help her please let me know.
Thank You!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 09:10 PM
Formerly known as Lucy_Madden

well guinea pigs are very shy animals!! sometimes it takes a long time to them relax! i think is normal

My pets:

2 yorkshires (Ankh and Amy)
4 rats (Aaron, Thor, Lee)
1 hamster (Panda)
13 Guinea piggies
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 11:26 AM
I live in a Pigdom

Guinea pigs are prey animals therefore they are wary animals. My pigs do not have pigloos, and if they did I would not let them have them 24/7. If you want the pig to start being social with you, you need to take that pigloo out during the day. You can let her have it during the night, but during the day when you would like to socialize with her, do not give her the option of hiding in it from you.

While you are sitting on the computer, bring a towel, or cuddle cup (can find this in a petshop) and sit with her. I do this for at least an hour, that way they get used to being around me and being handled. You can do this while you are watching TV, reading a book, or whatever it is that you do that you are being still. My pigs enjoy their one on one time; that and I can look them over carefully and make sure they are well.

After the loss of a dear friend, they can do a tail spin on you, do keep your eye on her. Especially if you do not know what the other passed away from. Make sure she is still eating and drinking. All you have to do is work with her and she will adjust to you being her friend. It takes time, just keep it up.

Good luck.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for your advice but most of it I have tried or I already do. I tried taking her house out during the day but that only worsened my problem. Just about every time I am on the computer or anything like that she is with me. My old guinea pig died of old age, she had two litters of babies and a lot happened to her during her life. She died about 4 months ago. I also talked to a vet about it and he said that some guinea pigs are and will always be shy. If you have any other ideas that you think might help me please let me know.
Thanks
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2004, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

If anyone else has any ideas besides the ones above, concidering I have already tried them please let me know asap!
thankx
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 02:33 PM
P-Diggity Dog Lover

I agree that some pigs are just shy. But to get them over that you need to keep working with her. She needs to learn to trust you. Make her time out special. Hand feed her salad to her. Just be very gentle and patient with her. I never had a pig I couldn't tame.

Donna
Dallas, Houston & Peanut the Prairie Dogs
Gypsy & Amber the Satos
Apache, Amigo, Max, and Morgan the Kitties
Scooter, Annie, Buttercup & Squeaky the Guinea Pigs
Mocha & Latte the Rat A Tats
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for everyone's help. But, unfortunatly, we have decided to find her a new home. No matter what I do she just doesnt improve. We are going to find her a home where she can be with other piggies. I have 2 dogs, a cat, a hamster, and 2 mice to worry about. Thanks for your help.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 12:13 PM
I live in a Pigdom

I am so sorry you have to re-home her.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 05:40 PM
Adolescent Pup

Sorry you have to rehome her! I hope you find her a good home!

*Corina's Critter World*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
cage mate, guinea pig