Help, considering getting a Guinea Pig - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Exclamation Help, considering getting a Guinea Pig

I really hope someone can help me....really soon. This woman has to give away her 1 year old female Guinea Pig. I am considering having it....but I know nothing about them and I only have 1 day to tell her if I take it or not. I already have a zoo (rabbit, bird, mice, cats)

1)How much maintenance is a guinea pig in comparison of the pets I have?
2)What is the best pellets? What should I look for in pellets?
3)Are they aggressive?
4)Any reason why I should or should not get a guinea pig?
5)I heard something about them needing vitamin C....where do I get that...? Do they need supplement?

Thanks again for the info....if anything I should know please let me know. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 05:13 PM
I live in a Pigdom

1)How much maintenance is a guinea pig in comparison of the pets I have?
A guinea pig will need its cage cleaned once a week at least. Daily veggies from an approved safe list for guinea pigs (really simple). Snuggle time or outside time from its cage daily. Will need a solid bottomed cage (no wire).
2)What is the best pellets? What should I look for in pellets?
Lots of people order Oxbow Cavy Cuisine for their guinea pigs as it is a timothy based pellet. You want a pellet that does not have seeds, dried fruits or veggies, or colorful bits in it, just plain pellets with a stabailized vitamin C in it.
3)Are they aggressive?
I've not had one grace my door yet and I have had many come through my door. They are extremely social creatures and are normally happy with one of their own kind preferably the same sex. I do not reccommend the bun and pig playing together if you do get it, as one kick from the bun could be fatal.
4)Any reason why I should or should not get a guinea pig?
Go here and read some of their requirements, only you know if you should get one or not. www.guinealynx.info www.cavyspirit.com
5)I heard something about them needing vitamin C....where do I get that...? Do they need supplement? They get their vitamin C from the fresh veggies you should be offering them daily. Some will eat the Oxbow vitamin C tablets, and other will sip it out of a syringe (liquid vitamin C) to get it. They can get scurvy like us, and their leafy greens is where they get the vitamin C from.

Ummm, anything else?

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thanks! Almost forgot...can they be litter trained like rabbits? Or they will pee and poop anywhere anytime?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Adolescent Pup

I've never heard of anyone that was able to fully train guinea pigs to use the litter box. My female was getting great at it for awhile until I took in a fully untrained male. She forgot most of what she'd learned. Olly's made alot of progress recently and I hope things will be different when I put them together. I do find that the bigger the cage, the more chance they will designate a bathroom area. If the cage is too small, they'll pee & poop everywhere. Bigger cages are easier to keep clean. Good luck!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 10:09 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

I am worried about you having a cat near the guinea pig.

Some of mine poop like crazy when in a playb area, but the calmer ones do not; in fact, two of them played on my shirt for 20 minutes, as usual, and there was no poop or pee, also as usual with them.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 07:43 AM
I live in a Pigdom

With cats and pigs, you have to know your cat. I have 5 and know they are safe around any adult pig (they run away from adult pigs), however I would NEVER leave them unsupervised around a newborn pup as they would kill them.

You have to watch your cat, does the cat sit and eye the mice you have? If that is the case, newborn pups would not be safe with your cat. You will have to see how the cat reacts to an adult.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

My 2 cats DONT bother with the bird nor the bunny nor the mice so I am guessing from that that they wont even bother with the guinea pig. My bunny is the one bugging the cat and they run away from the bunny. The "caged" pets only go out under supervision. My concern is how much maintenance does a guinea pig require. If I go for 1-2 days, can I just leave him? How expensive if feeding/caring for guinea pig? That is the reason of my topic. I have to decide TODAY before noon if I take it or not.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 09:23 AM
I live in a Pigdom

They require daily feedings of fresh veggies (1 cup per pig) and their hay should not run out nor their pellets.

I can't tell on expense as I have a herd and run a rescue. You would drop dead knowing what I pay to keep the pigs happy here. I have 26 in my own herd and 12 in rescue, and I pay just for bedding, hay and pellets $200. a month. Veggies are a whole new ball of wax, the grocers have gotten used to me coming in asking for the cast off's from their veggie depatment, with me assuring them it is not for human consumption.

With one or two, the cost should be minimal, veggies at their most expensive point should only cost $20 (I am guessing high here) a week. The rest depends on what you use for their bedding and pellets. Hay varies, but you want the greenest (not a fake green either) least stemmiest (if I can make that a word) hay you can find.

Adopt a pet today!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thanks. I already have fresh Mixed Hay for my bunny, so the guinea pig will have same. For bedding, I use Aspen for bunny and mouse...so guinea pig will have the same. Veggies will be same as for my bird/bunny/mice. I guess that the only extra thing I have to buy is pellets. Any you might recommand me? What should be the %fiber/%protein/%fat to look for in a guinea pig's pellets?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 10:25 AM
I live in a Pigdom

You want a Timothy hay based pellet that has stabilized vitamin C in it. That is about it... all the rest is not important. Oxbow has both. There are alfalfa based pellets that have stabilized vitamin C in it... Kaytee Fortidiet, Mazuri, Cavylets (nutritional research assoc.) and Kleenmama's pellets.

You just want to make sure it has a stabilized vitamin C in it.

Adopt a pet today!

Tags
dried fruit, dried fruits, guinea pig, litter box, litter train, litter trained, timothy hay