HELP for a friend!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

HELP for a friend!!!

One of my closest friends if having some serious problems with her GP and I am hoping someone here may have had a similar experience to offer some advice. He recently stopped eating on his own, and would only eat from her hand. This morning he had a head tilt and couldn't walk so the GP was rushed to the vet. Nystagmus was noticed and she was told most likely a tummor or an inner ear infection. They were supposed to do x-rays and blood work, but a dog with bloat came in and is apprently more important so she was shoved out the door One chest x-ray I believe was done and I will be getting the old ones to compare them to tomorrow (a mass was shown on the heart). However I do not believe they pulled the blood. And they also did not get the head x-ray done (not impressed here). If anyone has any advice we would greatly appreciate it (I wil pass it on to her ASAP). Thanks in advance!!!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 04:40 PM
I live in a Pigdom

Most likely an ear infection and needs antibiotics now. If not treated promptly the tilt can remain.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 05:36 PM
Part of the Pack

Get a new vet!

If one of my pigs had loss of appetite, head tilt, and nystagmus I would get it treated right away. Cavies are usually pretty good at hiding symptoms of illness, so her pig is probably bad off. The sooner she can get treatment the better!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Actually our usual vet refused to see her, this is the second vet that shoved her out. She's already out $400+ for nothing! We ARE looking into other vets though, trying to find one someone can recomend that knows what they are doing. I've offered to drive her to Guelph if need be, but that wil be expensive. Once she knows more I will post the info. In the meanwhile, if anyone had a pig with these symptoms, any advice/experiance you can share would be invaluable at this point.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

Tags
ear infection, inner ear infection