Help my pig child please - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Help my pig child please

My pig is havin seizures a couple a day. I have already had him seen once and she said she did not see mites. Now I have learned sometimes you dont see um. Anybody out there know anything about sevin dust, pig seizures or mites. Please help cause I just cant lose him. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Rodentologist

You cannot see mites with the naked eye, and even skin scrapings are often inconclusive or generate false negatives. She needs to be treated for mites with Revolution or Ivermectin immediately.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you so much for your input I do so appreciate it. My husband went and got him some sevin dust today. Can I get ivermectin over the counter? If so where?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 07:03 PM
can't think of one, help

Sevin dust is deadly, Unless given by a vet don't use it on piggie or any other animal. I'm so allergic to it I have to use rubber gloves and wrap it in plastic bags

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:42 AM
Rodentologist

Ivermectin can be purchased at feed stores, but at this point in your pig's illness, he needs veterinary assistance. Pigs who are seizuring typically need pain medication and/or valium to stop them from doing so. He is living in agony.

NEVER use Sevin dust on any pet!

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 08:12 PM
Playful Pup

Your piggie needs to be seen by the vet asap as the siezures could be something else not caused by mites they need to look into this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 10:46 PM
Playful Pup

the vet knows best. Yes sometimes you cant see them but the vet can see them with her special tools and stuff so if she says she dosent have mites then she does not.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 01:51 AM
Rodentologist

Lauri, I appreciate your enthusiasm in answering every post, but you're giving some incredibly strange advice. It's impossible to completely rule out mites, no matter what special tools you use. Have you heard the phrase "false negative" or "false positive"? It is incredibly easy to generate "false negatives" while looking for parasites because it relies on the vet being lucky enough to scrape an area where there are parasites.

Any knowledgeable vet will tell you the same thing.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 03:53 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

what is sevin dust?

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 07:11 AM
Rodentologist

It's a pesticide that you put on plants to kill june bugs and things.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Playful Pup

Seven dust is definately not something to use....it will kill them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PiggieSlave

Abby--> 2 mo's
Molly--> 3 mo's
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 11:49 PM
Playful Pup

Lol im sorry jennicat I guess I just trust the vets a lot. Ill shut up now i am stupid I know Im depresssed stupid and just arrg.

Tags
itchin, mites, seizures