help please... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

help please...

Hi guys
Wanted to get some info on guinea pigs

So the problem is that my dad agreed to buy me a guinea pig and since guinea pigs live in pairs I thought keeping a single guinea pig would cause a problem..so I wanted to ask can I keep a guinea pig alone?
Do tell me all the advantage and disadvantage of keeping it alone or with another pig…

And secondly how do you potty train a guinea pig?

Thanks
Do reply..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 03:36 PM
I am allergic to maths

Obviosly, like with most other animals, they do better in pairs, but a lone pig does fine two. I would say the advantages are:
Less mess
Lower costs
Great pet, on their own and in pairs
You dont spend a long time bonding them
You get to spend more time with them
And the disadvantages...:
You have to give them more of your time
Possible depression from being alone
You dont get to have two
As for litter training, you could try putting his leavings in his litter tray, count how many you put in and give him a treat everytime you find more than you put in, eventually he will get the idea Good luck!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Rodentologist

Guinea pigs aren't typically able to be litter trained, they do not naturally form dens in the wild and so have a very poor "denning" instinct.

They do much better in pairs, and suffer from depression, OCD, and other issues when forced to be kept alone. It's irresponsible to get a pet that is happier when kept in pairs and then force it to live alone for convenience.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 05:50 PM
is a little "special"

I would definatly get a pair. If you cant, I think it is better to look into getting another pet... Piggies are so happy in pairs, I dont think its fair to make one live alone!
I was a major failure when I tried litter training my pigs. The most you can eally do is stick a litter box in their favorite corner and hope for the best LOL. It also helps to put your hay rack over the litter box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Newborn Pup

Yeah, I'd get a pair for sure if you can. I currently have two females myself and in the past I've had just one, and the pair seem much happier.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Newborn Pup

I have ALWAYS had my piggies single.
As long as you spend time with them they'll be fine.
When i was younger my parents agreed that I could have a pet and got me a guinea pig.

It is NOT cruel to have a guinea pig alone. All you need to do is spend time with it. They are very lovable and as long as you care for them and handle them then you would have no problem.

One way to have a single guinea pig and my piggie just discovered this was I'll show her youtube videos of other guinea pigs and she LOVES it
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Rodentologist

Regardless of how much you love your piggie and how much you spend time with them, when you FORCE them to live alone, you are dooming them to spend the majority of their time alone. Everyone must sleep, and most people go to school or work. That's 16 hours of forced isolation right there.

Our rescue has been rescuing guinea pigs for over 8 years now, and in that time we've had TWO among hundreds that wouldn't get along with other pigs, and even then they were markedly happier living next to a pair of pigs so they had someone to talk to. You've never even owned a pair, so you have no idea whether or not they are happier in pairs or not.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Last edited by Jennicat; 05-17-2009 at 04:44 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 05:36 PM
is a little "special"

Ditto Jennicat.
When I adopted Sunny, she was housed alone, and was the shyest little thing Ive ever seen, and was terrified of everything. But after I bonded her and my old guinea pig Lizzie, her personality came out SO much! She was running the the front of the cage and wheeking for food when we walked by, instead of hiding in the corner. When Lizzie passed on she obviously felt very lost, but is much happier since we adopted Tilly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 07:27 AM
Newborn Pup

Lightbulb

Guinea pigs will do fine alone. I just have one, Isabella (Ella) and she is happy as pie. She has a little stuffed animal and if she has him, she is good. Single guinea pigs mean for less mess, less cost, and a much friendlier pig because you dont have to split your time for your two pigs. As long as she gets enough attention and loving care, she will be fine. If you get a young one (around 6wks is best) then when they reach adulthood (5-9 months) adopting another one of the same gender is a good idea. Make sure if you do get another one, that it is in its own blocked off area next to your pig to make sure that they get used to each other.

Guinea pigs, like other small animals, naturally use one corner of their cage for a bathroom. Once you have observed enough to see it (it doesnt always happen right away) then you can put in a litter box with litter. If you are using a bedding for the whole cage and not fleece (see guineapigcages.com in the bedding section there is a thread) then when they go to the bathroom in another area, put that bedding in the litter box. If you use fleece, just pick up the poo with a litter scoop and stick it in there. They will soon get the idea. My guinea pig Ella, uses a litter box and fleece and she goes pretty much in it. There will be some stray poos because they dont always pay mind to where they are going a little.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 07:33 AM
Rodentologist

I find it really sad that you would force your guinea pig to be friends with a stuffed animal so that you can save some money and have "less mess". I have plenty of friendly piggies in pairs that also aren't forced to pretend that a stuffed animal isn't their friend.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Newborn Pup

I dont force my piggie to be friends with a stuffed animal. I put him in there and she loves him. I dont do it because I want to save money and have "less mess" because she makes a huge mess anyway. I only have one because my mom is allergic to pet hair and one is bad enough... I shouldnt even have to defend myself because Ella is very happy by herself and with her "fake friend"
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 04:00 PM
is a little "special"

Would you be happy with only a "fake friend"?
Im finding this all pretty sad too...

Tags
help needed