help please really really confused... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

help please really really confused...

hi
guys
i guess many of you may have read my earlier posts i wrote about the hamsters and gerbils

so anyways
i was deciding to buy a hamster and 2 gerbils
when i searched how about instead of these two buy a guinea pig

so wanted some information...
should i go for it or should i keep on to my previous plans

and is a guniea pig like really huge(like a rabbit)? cause i live in an appt. so really needed to know

and does it makes more mess than hamster or gerbils
also does the urine like stink or gives an awful smell if left uncleaned like for about a day or more...

and about the cages i do have to large hamster cages with all the tubing etc but i think that not suitable for a guniea pig
what type of cages should be there

lastly do they need to be in pairs or seperate

thanks
do rep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 02:28 PM
I am allergic to maths

Wow, lots of questions! First of all, piggys are quite big but not as big as a rabbit. A hamster cage will not do, they need a big cage and a hamster cage would only just fit them, if you live in an appt. you may not have the space because indoor cages are so big they need to be on the floor so they may be in the way. I dont know how much they smell but since they are bigger than a hamster, I would guess the smell is more noticable. They do well in pairs but can be kept alone, in which case you would have to spend more time with them. I would say you need to do some more research if you dont even know how big they are. Hope I helped, good luck!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Rodentologist

1.) Guinea pigs are much bigger than hamsters or gerbils, but they're not as big as some rabbits. Usually they weigh between 2-3 lbs and are about 10 inches long.

2.) Mess is really relative, some pigs are messier than others, obviously, but a lot of it depends on the cage size and types of bedding that you choose. Whether or not they smell depends entirely on how big their cage is. In a large enough cage, you should be able to go many days without changing out their litter.

3.) The best type of cage that I've found for guinea pigs are "Cube and Coroplast" Cages or "C&C" cages. The instructions for how to make them are on http://www.guineapigcages.com

4.) Guinea pigs do much better in pairs as they are extremely social animals. Of course, the pairs need to be same sex!

Check out these sites for more info:

http://www.guinealynx.info
http://www.cavyspirit.com

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Newborn Pup

should i go for it or should i keep on to my previous plans
guinea pigs tend not to scurry like hamsters and aren't as small so if they get loose are easier to find.
and is a guniea pig like really huge(like a rabbit)? cause i live in an appt. so really needed to know
I had one piggie (he was a boy) that got to be a decent size but not huge huge my present piggie, (a little girl) is full grown and she's definitely smaller. She's about 10 inches when she stretches herself out otherwise she's about 6 or 7.
and does it makes more mess than hamster or gerbils
also does the urine like stink or gives an awful smell if left uncleaned like for about a day or more...
Oh I clean my piggie's cage every other week (though she has a cage suitable for about two pigs) If it's a smaller cage I'd say clean it once a week it doesn't stink up.
and about the cages i do have to large hamster cages with all the tubing etc but i think that not suitable for a guniea pig
what type of cages should be there
You need a bigger cage than hamsters the cage for my girl is about 3 feet+ by 2feet+ (not sure on the exact dimensions but it's huge). But as I said above there is plenty of room for her to have a companion. So a smaller cage than that would work.
lastly do they need to be in pairs or seperate
My piggie is alone but i make sure to take her out EVERY night and day for a few hours. (she loves to sit on the back of the couch while i watch TV or sit in my lap.

Tags
???