Hi. I'm new here... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Hi. I'm new here...

Hi. I'm new here...I just purchased two Guinea pigs for my two son's. We got them at PetSmart because we couldn't find breeders any closer than two hours away. We've had them 4 days & I had to return one of them for an upper respiratory problem (and skin lesions) as suggested by the vet. I still have the other Guinea pig & it has begun to show signs of a cold as well. Is there anything I can do to "help" the Guinea recover??? I have a 14 day guarantee where I can exchange the pig for another....but since I don't have much experience I'm not sure what to do. Should I just take this one back as well & start all over....or is there a possibility he could pull out of it???

I feel so clueless!!! Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 10:26 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'd take him to the vets and get him treated rather than return him as theres every chance that you will just pass this problem onto someone else. Also are you sure its a cold or respiratory infection, could he be by any chance allergic to his bedding? Is he being kept on anything different from what he was being kept on at the petstore? As some piggies can be quite sensitive to their bedding so might be worth looking into aswell! If you take him to the vets and get him checked over and given the right treatment theres every chance he will pull through, the sooner you take him the better his chances are and in the mean time make sure he's nice and warm and taking fluids as small animals can go down hill very quickly so best to be cautious. I would also look into getting him another piggy friend aswell as he's going to be lonely on his own as piggies are herd animals and love each others company

Don't worry about feeling clueless we all start out like that and it sounds like you have had a rough time with your first piggy experience but you have done the right thing asking questions and joining a site like this for advice as thats how we all learn And welcome to PT

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 11:54 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Welcome to PT.
Sorry to hear your 1st experience with the little furry ones was bad.
Amey (can I call u that Ameythstbelle) was right I think it is best u look after the new guy rather than take him back as they might not want to bother with a sick animal.
Good Luck

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your suggestions. Turns out...the second Guinea pig looks like he's gonna get over the cold. The first Guinea pig was too far gone & I had already returned him before posting on this site. His cold turned into pneumonia. The salesclerk took him straight to the vet, located inside the store. Evidently, a group of little Guinea's were weened from their mom a little too soon. Many of them can't seem to fight off infections, etc... We happened to get two from that batch.

We got another Guinea to keep Shaggy company. They are still adjusting to each other...but it's really looking like it'll work out! Thanks again. This site has been very helpful in my new journey~!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 10:55 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaawwwwww glad to hear the lil guys making a recovery and he's got a new friend

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 11:15 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Welcome to PT...and Im glad to hear that your piggy is getting better!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 04:34 PM
Removed due to federal age requirements

to PT! Glad to hear your piggies are doing well!

Tags
guinea pig, respiratory infection