How much longer?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

How much longer??

Hello everyone,

Sorry in advance for this silly question, but how much longer can my guinea pig be pregnant for?? I got her about 7-8 weeks ago, so she had to of mated before then at the pet store as I have no male guinea pigs at home. I have been feeling her babies move around for about 3 weeks. She seems very tierd now, always just laying aorund, but she does still get up often to eat and drink. She is pretty big, very pear shaped. I felt her pelvic bones, I can fit about one finger in but I have pretty small fingers (I have only done that today, this isnt something I do often as I know it bugs her and I dont wanna hurt her on accident). I read on a few sights that as soon as you feel babies moving it means about 3 weeks to go, well it's been over 3 weeks now. I asked the vet but he just said she was in the last part of her pregnancy, so I dont know what that means.

I'm just getting so impatient cause I wanna be around in case she needs intervention and I need to take her to the vet for an emergency c-section, and I'm getting teird of waiting around all the time and never leaving for long periods of time. And since I heard they more often, but not all the time, deliver late at night or very early morning, I make sure I'm awake then, so theirs not a whole lotta sleep going on for me. I just wanna be a good pet owner and make sure she has a good and healthy labor and delivery. So if anyone can guess how much longer it should be, that would be great, I know you guys dont know the future, but if you can tell me by your guy's experience with guinea pig pregnancies, that would be wonderful.

thank you so much again.
-pollybug

Pollybug25's pets-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rosie, Snowball, Princess, Boggart, and Taco

Ginger, chihuahua/mix

Brownie, Shihtzu

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 12:05 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

They are usually pregnant for 60-70 days. Any more questions?

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 05:54 AM
Rodentologist

Gestation for guinea pigs is 59-73 days.

It sounds like you're very very close.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

That's it, I'm gonna take her for a car ride on a very bumpy road, then we're gonna go for a very long walk, then give her some castor oil, and if all fails, then I'm gonna take her to the hospital and tell them to induce her lol. Somethings gotta work. I remember when I was pregnant it felt like forever, and I'm about as impatient with the guinea pig like I was with my own pregnancies lol.

Are there any signs right before they go into labor? do they stil leat and drink the same? do they lay down alot or move around alot? Do they show any physical signs right before birth? I know what to expect DURING labor, but not before. I know they reach down and pull them out, and do some hiccup things.

Well anyways, thank you again, so sorry for so many questions, it's so weird being new to the wonderful world of guinea pigs, but to so soon have to deal with guinea pig labor and babies is just so scary but exciting at the same time. Also, should I move her into a quiet room? I dont want her to feel ignored, or should I keep her in the livingroom where she is now so she doesnt feel alone?

-pollybug

Pollybug25's pets-

Rosie, Snowball, Princess, Boggart, and Taco

Ginger, chihuahua/mix

Brownie, Shihtzu

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 10:08 PM
Playful Pup

My baby mouse had babys. Check on the mommy and the babies but keep it quiet for the first week or so.

Tags
babies, guinea pig, pregnancy