How often do you clean the cage? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

How often do you clean the cage?

I am piggie sitting and wonder how often do you clean their cages? I have been tidying up twice a day and changing the sheet and towel under it every other day. Is that okay?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

well I line the bottom of their enclosure with newspaper and put CareFresh bedding on top of it and end up cleaning and changing it all out once a week. I roll up the newspaper with as much of the soiled bedding all togethe...throw that out...then wipe down the bottom of enclosure and replace the newspaper and bedding with fresh.

How many piggies are you sitting? What type of bedding besides the sheet and towel? For how long are you piggie sitting?

Sounds like your doing a good job so far
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 05:51 AM
Rodentologist

I vacuum the fleece twice a day, and then completely change it out once a week, but I've also got 3 towels under fleece, so it's more absorbent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I clean Twix cage out once a week but I'm amazed how dirty one pig can make a cage in a week Never knew that before I got him.

Life's not about how to survive the storm, It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Momma to: 2 human children Audree (2) and Jacob (7 mo.)
3 Doggies: Angel (13), Cricket (1), and Diesel (4mo.)
1 Kitty: Mazey (Age unknown)
2 ferrets - Mocha and Marshall
1 bunny - Ice

Working to make a change, one paw at a time!
Volunteer - Skinny Little Buddy's Rescue
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 11:41 AM
User Is No Longer Welcome

I clean my girls cages out once a week but I don't use fleece anymore. Right now I use Aspen.

Do you have pigtures to share?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

lol!! "Pigtures!"

Lve Never Fails

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

I am watching Smore and Ziggy. Their mom posted their pigtures here before. I only have them for a bit longer - until Wednesday. I have the towel down with the sheet over top and carefree (like) bedding in the corners and in their houses. They mostly go in their house so I will move the house onto a dry area when it gets too wet. Piggies are like bunnies and they both can poo a lot!
I clean up their cage and changed everything. I left the room came back in and there was poo everywhere! At least I know they are eating. They are such funny little critters. Ziggy screams when you pick him up but he loves to be held. He flops into your arms and begins to nodd off. So adorable.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 05:05 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aww i think your falling in lve with having piggies!

Could you be getting one for yourself in the future?

Lve Never Fails

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

I think I have my hands full at the moment. Although I would never rule anyone out. Piggies are pretty sweet.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 06:35 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

you are spoiling those piggies
that is too cute
have fun with smore and ziggy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 09:12 PM
Playful Pup

I usually clean mine every time it's a tiny bit stinky, but this time, it went WAY overboard. They'll probably be getting cleaned tomorrow.

I HIGHLY recommend
and
for guinea pig lovers.

To help shelter animals, all it takes is a free click:

Tags
carefresh bedding