How young can females get pregnant - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

How young can females get pregnant

Hi Everyone,

How young can females get pregnant? I am picking up 4 youngun's tomorrow, males and females, they are 1 month old. I may have to keep them caged together for a few days until I can get all of my cages set up for them and I don't want to risk a sibling pregnancy.

Thanks,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 07:54 PM
Adolescent Pup

according to the information I have found the females mature at 5-6 weeks and Males at 9 to 10 weeks hope this helps or someone can verify this for you

Remember the three R's: Respect for self; Respect for others;
Responsibility for all your actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 08:19 PM

I have always been told and have read that males can mature as young as 10 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks! I'll be able to get the cages next week, but if it was going to make a difference, I'd have done something else.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 10:18 PM
Constantly Confused

Males can impregnant a female pig as early as 5 weeks, sometimes before. It's not rare, but it is heard of. Males should be seperated from both their mothers and sisters by 3 1/2-4 weeks of age, possibly sooner if they are trying to mate. They can, and will get the females pregnant. If possible, keep them seprate, because it can happen, even if you need to divide the cage with a cardboard diveder, its better then having a pig way too young to be pregnant.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 07:07 AM
Erin

I personally think you should seperate the males no sooner than 3 weeks and no later than 5. With the one litter I did end up with I seperated at 3 weeks while the boar did start rumblestrutting at 2 weeks, he didn't get mom, sisters, or his auntie pregnant.