Hrm... piggie suddenly picky? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 06:02 PM

thanks for the list--we are fairly new to guinea pigs and i found it very helpful. i didn't realize they could have so much. we give ours lettuce and carrots for treats it will be helpful to have other options. we use timothy hay as part of their daily diet--is that one of the best or is there something better? we bought a fence to take them outside and they loved the grass too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Yep timothy hay is great for them.. mine get plenty to play in/sleep on/eat every day! Everytime I put it in they start squeaking/chortling like crazy, lol. Fresh grass is also great
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 02:00 PM

Please remember to use softer Timothy hay, if possible. I didn't know about 1st cut, 2nd cut, etc. Lately, the hay I've been using has been 1st cut which is coarser & Lulu ruptured her cornea while playing in the hay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 04:39 PM
Seeker of Orbs

i didn't know one could specify the cut. for us it's random....some it prickly, some is nice and normal...

~beth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
thank you!--->

RIP hagrid. Pheonix! RIP, sweet piggie[/URL]

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Playful Pup

guinea pigs

Yes timothy hay is the best if they are adults but of they are young then they need alfafa hay, up until they are around 6 months, after that they don't. Make sure that they are getting their Vitamin C. Don't but it in the water ( may have been told). They are finding more and more problem health wise with that. I use the tablets, crush it up and put it on their food. Mainly the food that it will kind of stick too.
I use to feed individul varieties of veggies and found it more costly. Now my mixture of leafly green veggies, I chop all up and then put in a big baggie of veggie salad. Then add something extra, the carrot,tomatoes,pepper ect. as 2nd veggie, along with hay. Found this way less expensive, some how.
good luck
Joey
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 05:56 PM
Playful Pup

guinea pigs/part 2

opps, also about the grass. Although yes they love grass. make sure that in no way that grass has been treated with any chemicals. Also please watch them carefully. I know of someone that beleives there piggie was stolen. so don't leave unattended.
Also, about the hay. twice cut timothy is best. So be very careful that the hay is not stiff or pocky in anyway to accidently poke their eyes. To be honest, any time that you buy in bulk the cheaper it is.
www.oxbowhay.com, has great hay. or other companies out there.
good luck
joey
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 08:36 PM

I buy the hay from Oxbow. I didn't realize that different cuts are available, depending on the season. I think 1st cut, the coarsest, is cut during the fall. The cuts in spring are softer.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 11:20 AM
Playful Pup

guinea pig

Also you can look into buying the timothy hay from www.americanpetdiner.com or call 800-656-2691. they could be a little less expensive than oxbowhay.com. They have a soft twice cut timothy hay.
I get my hay though the guinea pig rescue. but a group or us order from owbowhay to bring the costs down.
thanks joey
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

yah the cut of hay is pretty random for us here also.. no choice in what we get, just whatever they shove into the bag.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 12:33 AM

Thumbs up

Yes this has happened to me any number of times.
With King my piggie.

He LOVES his Timothy Hay, and at times he'll not touch it for a few weeks, then latter on eat it like it's Candy.

When he was younger he's 3 now he Loved Parsley, But hasn't touched it in Over a year?

Give him a break from it, then try it again, and I'll bet he'll love it again, Like he's Never seen it before.

I called your Pig a he I can't remember if it was a Girl or not?

The only thing King has NEVER turned down, is a BIG Juicy RED RIPE Tomato.
As a matter of fact he Loves'em so much the White on his Chin is died RED from the Juice.
We call it Mater Chin....
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddysZOO
Yes this has happened to me any number of times.
With King my piggie.

He LOVES his Timothy Hay, and at times he'll not touch it for a few weeks, then latter on eat it like it's Candy.

When he was younger he's 3 now he Loved Parsley, But hasn't touched it in Over a year?

Give him a break from it, then try it again, and I'll bet he'll love it again, Like he's Never seen it before.

I called your Pig a he I can't remember if it was a Girl or not?

The only thing King has NEVER turned down, is a BIG Juicy RED RIPE Tomato.
As a matter of fact he Loves'em so much the White on his Chin is died RED from the Juice.
We call it Mater Chin....
hehe yep you got it, Bailey's a he He is eating parsley again but has now decided he no longer likes romaine.. ahhhhhh.. crazy pig, lol. That's cute about the tomato stained chin!! Since Bailey has a white face, when he eats carrot he gets a orange mustache tooooo cute indeed
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 03:50 PM

Lulu had red lips from eating red peppers. She looked like she had lipstick on! She has blond hair, so the lips really stood out. I wish I had a chance to take a picture!
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

I gave my pigs watermelon for the first time yesterday and they sure gobbled it up!! Bailey has the juice dripping down his chin
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critterangels
Lulu had red lips from eating red peppers. She looked like she had lipstick on! She has blond hair, so the lips really stood out. I wish I had a chance to take a picture!
LOL! You're gonna have to break out the camera and give her some red pepper! I would LOVE to see pics of that!

Tags
collard greens, food dishes, guinea pig, guinea pig rescue, romaine lettuce, timothy hay