I can't believe I"m posting this...I want a piggie! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I can't believe I"m posting this...I want a piggie!

Okay I haven't really researched but I DO know that they need vitamin C.

Okay I don't really know what I'm asking. I was in the petstore the other day (oh the dreaded pet store) and this girl kept asking us to hold animals because she didn't want to wait on customers. I totally understand...oh the boredom on retail....gotta look busy when there really isn't anything busy to do.

Well I held this little piggie for the longest time. He just layed in my arms. I fell in love but of course the man put me in line and told me to not get attached.

I have actually been thinking about piggies for awhile because I think they're so cute. I'd love to have one in the near future. I have too many pets right now but it wouldn't be anytime soon. I think my biggest problem would be getting past the fact that they're not rats and may not display the same personality as rats do.

Do they have really good personalities? Do they bite? (I know all animals bite but what I really want to know, under what circumstances will they bite?) What size cage should they have? I have a superpet cage I bought for the rats that held 2 rats. I think it was marketed for guinea pigs. Would that be big enough? I know a lot of cages are marketed for animals when they really aren't big enough. Should they be kept in pairs or do they do okay as solitary animals?

I did find a rescue really close to where I live that has guinea pigs. On their webpage it says that they handle the piggies everyday and they try to make sure that they are tame as possible and not human aggressive. If they find that they are human aggressive they stay at the rescue. It is a very small rescue and there aren't many pets there.

Any help/advice/random chit chat would be nice. Thanks!

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 05:36 AM
Rodentologist

Guinea pigs have very docile personalities. They rarely bite without reason, and most enjoy being held in your lap. They are social, like rats, and should be kept in pairs. I don't know of a single pet store cage that's actually big enough for guinea pigs. Check out Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home for building instructions on cages that are very affordable ($30 or less).

For more detailed info, check out
Guinea Lynx :: A Medical and Care Guide for Your Guinea Pig
Guinea Pig Education, Care, Rescue and Adoption at Cavy Spirit

Also, THANK YOU for choosing to adopt. As a small animal rescuer, it kills me how many people overlook our sweet piggies who have gone through so much already.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 05:37 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Here is a fact sheet about guinea pigs and its from the Blue Cross so its good advice!!

All About Pets - List of all the FREE leaflets from All about pets

I personally have never kept a guinea pig so i cant give any advice but i would check out the link i gave you as the Blue Cross know what they are talking about!!!

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Adolescent Pup

I have never known guinea pigs to bite unless they are sick. They are very sweet pets! The more you hold them the sweeter they become. They definately need a large living space. You'll notice how happy they are zooming around the cage.I got mine on ebay for $60 including shipping so that's not too bad. I definately feel that they need a buddy.They like to cuddle up and sleep together.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 03:08 PM
is a little "special"

I love piggies! Depending on the piggy, some can be shy and others arent. Ther are very loving and rarely bite. For cage space... 2 square feet per piggie at the minimum. The bigger the better! Oh and they are very social and shouls be kept in pairs. Can you consider adopting 2?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Rodentologist

Just a note, the 2 square feet minimum with two pigs will probably lead to fighting. I've never seen a pair of pigs personally get along very well in smaller than 7.5 square feet (the smallest recommended on guineapigcages.com), and even then, many pairs need more like 10 square feet so that they won't squabble and fuss.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Should they be kept in single level cages?

*Missy*
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 08:24 PM
can't think of one, help

I really miss mine "talking" its sounds so sweet
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 05:50 AM
Rodentologist

Single level cages work best, because guinea pigs are not especially good climbers. Many won't use ramps, even if they're available. If you have a multi-level cage, the bottom floor needs to be the minimum space requirement (7.5-10 sq feet per pair) and then add on another floor or balcony. The ramps need to be very, very gentle if they're to use them.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 03:34 PM
is a little "special"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
Just a note, the 2 square feet minimum with two pigs will probably lead to fighting. I've never seen a pair of pigs personally get along very well in smaller than 7.5 square feet (the smallest recommended on guineapigcages.com), and even then, many pairs need more like 10 square feet so that they won't squabble and fuss.
Thats just what Ive heard. My two piggies have about 6 square feet of room tho and they get along pretty good.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 12:53 AM

If you plan to get more than one pig, be sure they are both females. Males fight.
Females that do not know each other will fight with each other also. Introduce older females who are strangers to each other gradually, under supervision. In time they will accept each other.
The most peaceful arrangement I've found is to raise female youngsters together, or a mother and daughter (s).
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodyP View Post
If you plan to get more than one pig, be sure they are both females. Males fight.
Females that do not know each other will fight with each other also. Introduce older females who are strangers to each other gradually, under supervision. In time they will accept each other.
The most peaceful arrangement I've found is to raise female youngsters together, or a mother and daughter (s).
I have to disagree with this. When kept in a large enclosure (as all guinea pigs should be, regardless of gender) males rarely fight.

Here are some handy links:

Pig Notes: Myth #1: Male Guinea Pigs Can't Live Together
Guinea Lynx :: Guinea Pig Care Guide

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Rodentologist

Agree. Male/male pairings are quickly becoming my favorites, as all my female/female and male/female (with one or other other, neutered, obviously) have been hellacious this month!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 10:36 PM

I have had certain males that have gotten along, but man, I have also had some that didn't! I think we are both correct ..I think new pig owners should be aware that sometimes males will fight ferociously. I've experienced this, but I admit these were males that didn't know each other. I had let them out in a grassy (safe, fenced, supervised) back yard to romp together. They attacked each other like animated stick men.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 10:29 AM
Rodentologist

The vast majority of males will get along if they've got personalities that mesh well. Although two individual pigs may not get along with each other, that's in no way indicative that "all males fight".

We've done several hundred pairings over the years, and we have a huge success rate with male/male pairings when they're introduced properly and kept in a correct cage size.

Tags
animal rescue, guinea lynx, guinea pig, guinea pig cage, guinea pig cages, guinea pig care, guinea pig education, level cage, male guinea pigs, pet store, pig cages