I Don't Know What To Do!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Unhappy I Don't Know What To Do!!!

Until two wheeks ago (get it...wheeks...hee...anyway...) I had two guinea pigs, one (Gordy) is 4 years young and the other (Ellie) is about 8 months. Two weeks ago, I got a third one (Zoey) and her estimated age is 3-4 months. Zoey is finished with her quarantine period now, and today I introduced her to Ellie and Gordy. What I did was bathe them all in good smelling small animal shampoo and then dried them with a hair dryer. Then I put them in a baby pool full of timothy hay. While they were occupied with eating, I completely disinfected the cage and got rid of any animal scent. Then I put them in there.

Zoey is attacking the other pigs and they aren't even doing anything. Ellie and Gordy will be hiding in their pigloo and Zoey goes in there to fight them. They just want to be left alone. It's been three hours and she is still doing that. How long should I give them before I truly get worried and know for certain that it won't work out? To my knowledge, there has been no blood shed, only a lot of teeth chattering, hair pulling, nipping, and this weird sideways thing. Any ideas?

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 10:38 PM
Playful Pup

Hmm, the people over at www.cavycages.com can help you, how big is their cage? Do any of them stop the others from eating or drinking? Nipping and hair pulling does Not sound good at all.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I checked out the cavycage website, which linked me to cavy spirit. I did everything it said to do. They say not to seperate them unless blood is drawn or the cavies are standing up, getting ready to go for the kill. My cage is 2 x 4 grids. The only time that I have seen them fight over food is when I gave them their fruits and veggies last night. Zoey kept going around and stealing lettuce and carrots from the others. She also tries to take hay out of the others' mouths, but usually to no avail. She is a brat!

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 07:18 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Zoey is probably a very dominent Sow and is making sure they know it. I have usually had good luck putting sows together, when it "works out" the chasing and carring on don't last for that long. I personally don't like pulling hair because to me they are trying to bite and will make it into skin if it keeps up - so that's much more serious to me than just the chasing,strutting,side stepping wiggling stuff they do.
I would say take Zoey out if she keeps pulling hair out and chattering her teeth.
I got a sow that was very aggressive and would not stop fighting and bullying other guinea pigs, i had tried her with everybody I had, not even a baby sow could she live with because she kept niping on her butt until there was a scab there. So I gave up and she got her own cage. A year later (last month) i actully got her living with that same baby sow(grown up) and a nuetured boar. She was seperated through devider from them for a long time in a C&C cage. I think after a year living here she calmed down and relaxed, her whole attitude was so different. They all live really well together. So what I'm saying is maybe you should put Zoey in the same cage with them but put a devider in so she can see them and get to know them for a long time before you try again.
if you have a C&C , just cable tie 2 grids side by side and then wedge in middle of cage and cable tie to sides of cage.I know it makes their space smaller , but if you want them to all live together I would give it a shot.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I did try that and they all started chewing on the bars to get to one another. I was afraid they were going to break their teeth or jaws or something (we had a rabbit dislocate his jaw doing that). I haven't seen Zoey nip them for a while. Now she just runs up to them really fast and head butts them in their butt or side. I think she thinks it's a game. There's not as much teeth chattering or raised hackles, most of the teeth chattering that does occur comes from the ones being ran into. So far, I can't see where she's pulled any hair. I only know that she did it b/c I saw it in her mouth a few times. This morning her and Ellie were in the pigloo together... Why can't they just behave by the book? Either they get along or they don't... None of this mixture of behavior...lol

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 09:25 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Lee
Zoey is probably a very dominent Sow and is making sure they know it. I have usually had good luck putting sows together, when it "works out" the chasing and carring on don't last for that long. I personally don't like pulling hair because to me they are trying to bite and will make it into skin if it keeps up - so that's much more serious to me than just the chasing,strutting,side stepping wiggling stuff they do.
I would say take Zoey out if she keeps pulling hair out and chattering her teeth.
I got a sow that was very aggressive and would not stop fighting and bullying other guinea pigs, i had tried her with everybody I had, not even a baby sow could she live with because she kept niping on her butt until there was a scab there. So I gave up and she got her own cage. A year later (last month) i actully got her living with that same baby sow(grown up) and a nuetured boar. She was seperated through devider from them for a long time in a C&C cage. I think after a year living here she calmed down and relaxed, her whole attitude was so different. They all live really well together. So what I'm saying is maybe you should put Zoey in the same cage with them but put a devider in so she can see them and get to know them for a long time before you try again.
if you have a C&C , just cable tie 2 grids side by side and then wedge in middle of cage and cable tie to sides of cage.I know it makes their space smaller , but if you want them to all live together I would give it a shot.
I totally agree with the above post. I'd give her a few more days if the behaviour continues then remove her and partition her off so she can still see them and smell them and vice versa but she can't bully them around and hopefully being on her own will make her appreciate them more as she can't keep going on like this as she is causing the other two stress and therefore making them more open to illness. If you seperate them keep them parted for a few weeks and then retry her with them and see if her attitude has mellowed any. I think its because she is young and she is trying her luck and fortunately for her the other two are letting her push them around which is probably making her worse and making her do it even more as they aren't putting her in her place if you know what i mean!?

Goodluck and keep us posted

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 10:32 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

How long have they been together? Have you kept them together since you made this post(over night ect..?)? If things are getting better than leave them be and after a couple weeks or less things should be a lot calmer and everyone will know where they stand in pecking order. Just don't remove her and put her back a lot because that will cause more upset everytime. So I'd say if you see things are getting better not worse and no biting, blood shed and fighting (like rolled up in a ball cat fight or standing on high end,) than just keep her in..Sometimes it just takes a little longer for some to calm down. I had another sow who use to chase the new comers like crazy for 2 weeks, but finally she would just calm down and things would be fine. they all have different personalitys and act different with introductions.Hang in there it will probably work out just fine.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 10:39 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I just looked at your post again- it sounds like they all were together overnight. if that's the case it sounds like all will be fine. She may be mean sometimes but it looks like it will be all up hill now.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 08:10 PM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilchris_28
Until two wheeks ago (get it...wheeks...hee...anyway...) I had two guinea pigs, one (Gordy) is 4 years young and the other (Ellie) is about 8 months. Two weeks ago, I got a third one (Zoey) and her estimated age is 3-4 months. Zoey is finished with her quarantine period now, and today I introduced her to Ellie and Gordy.
Sorry, a little off-topic, but is Gordy a male and is he neutered? The only reason I ask is because guinea pig girls can get pregnant at 8 weeks of age. Anyways it sounds like she is going through puberty and testing her boundaries and trying to stir up the current pecking order. Guinea pigs can act territorial at that age, hopefully she will grow out of it.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

They are all unspayed females.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 12:23 PM
Part of the Pack

Okay so Gordy is a female, right? Just making sure!

How are they all doing today?

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Yes, Gordy is a female. They all are females. They are doing good today. Ellie and Zoey are buddies now... Now poor Gordy is all by herself... Her friend left her for someone else... Gordy has always kind of done her own thing. Guinea pigs are so cute. I bought this dog toy that's a pig and it's flat and made out of fleece. Gordy took it into her pigloo today and was laying on it when I got home...lol

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 02:38 AM
Playful Pup

How is everything going?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

good... they're so cute!

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur

Tags
guinea pig, timothy hay