I need help with handling - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I need help with handling

I got George-Michael on August 24th, and He hates being picked up, I can usually manage picking him up to clean his cage, but recently he has been biting me, and shrieking.
How can I get him to trust me and let me pick him up.
His cage really needs to be cleaned, but I just gave up because I cant stand being bitten anymore.

"I Knew It Wasn't Berkowitz!!!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Playful Pup

I would keep your hands in his home, and just let him sniff your hands. Once he stops sniffing, try to pet him.. Just keep doing this until he gains your trust!
How old is he? If he is older, it may take a while, but don't lose patience. Guineapigs are wonderful pets!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yeah, I love him, He's great, and every time he sees me, he starts popcorning and running around, and whenever I go near his cage, he comes out of his house and right up to the front gate to see me, so I know that he likes me.
I try to hand feed him alot, so he will start to see that I'm good to him, and He's really starting to become alot more friendly, but he nibbles alot.

Anyway, I dont know how to tell how old he is, but he is smaller that alot of Guinea Pigs that I see pictures of, so I'm guessing He's not an adult yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Junior Jouster

Sometimes I use a small towel to pick my guinea pigs up. Not only does it make you more confident, but it can make your guinea pig feel more secure. And if they smell their scent and your scent on it, eventually they will associate you with security.

Also if you pick him up and HOLD him until he is calm (maybe 5/10 minutes) that might help, try covering him with the towel so he can't see a lot of everything going on. Even feeding him some of his favorite veggies right after you pick him up he might associate getting picked up with a favorite treat!

If he's a baby like you say I think he will warm up to you soon! GOOD LUCK!

Mini Horse: Moose
Mini Donkey: Letty
Potbelly Pig: Bubbles
Nigerian Dwarf Goats: Tidy Whitey, Josie, Elroy
Miniature Schnauzer: Leelo
German Wirehaired Pointer: Cricket
Human: Katie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 06:43 AM
RAT ADDICT

Give it time.

My GP,Stuart,was a rescue and when I first got him in June (I was only fostering then...ended up adopting! ) he was extremely shy.He ran away from me,sat in corners and freaked out when I tried to handle him.

I took my time with him and been slow.I sat in his cage (it is big enough) and offered carrots.At first he wouldn't come over,but after awhile he couldn't resist.He soon realized that I bring good things.

He has come ALONG way since I got him in June.He now runs up and greets me,lets me pick him up and handle him,lets me trim his nails and is constantly talking to me.It took patience,time,love,food and talking softly.

Stuart is about 3 or 4 yrs old and came from a bad home,yet he quickly learned to trust me.Since your little one is a baby,I am sure it won't take long for him to warm up to you as well.

Good luck.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Alright, thanks for all the advice, I'll try doing some of that later on tonight when I change his cage.