I'd like to know why he had to die - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Exclamation I'd like to know why he had to die

My guinea pig Speedy had just turned 5, and it wasn't long before he started avoiding his dry food. He only ate salad, and nibbled on some fruits. His hay seemed untouched too. Then I noticed his water bottle was still full, and lastly he wasn't urinating or pooping. I took him to the vet, she said he was a bit dehydrated, and gave him some fluids under the skin. That was all, and we went home again. I'm thinking his digestive system just gave up on him. Is this common in guinea pigs? Or what do you think went wrong? o_O

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GoOmiEz
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 04:36 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I have no advice/experience with GPs but I wanted to offer my sympathy to you, I'm very sorry for your loss!

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 10:29 PM
I live in a Pigdom

It could have been many things.... Teeth come to my mind, the back ones could have been overgrown and you can't see them only a vet can. So he might have only been able to eat the soft stuff. Molars tend to overgrow and need vet assistance to take care of them. The only way to know for sure would have left him at the bets once he passed to have a necropsy done. Sorry about your loss...

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Okay, thank you. I guess he was just old, but I knew two guinea pigs that were 8 and 9 and they lived outside in a lil' hutch. hardcore huh. lol

GoOmiEz

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 08:32 AM
I live in a Pigdom

Yes that is. Poor things. I have 2 sows I rescued here that came out of a hutch that they were housed with 17 others; males and females mixed. Never guess what happened at my house? Two sows I rescued had 9 babies, however only 6 of them lived. The one sow had an extremely large litter and only 4 of the 7 lived. I have 2 other sows that I adopted that came out of pig troughs on a farm that had no food or water. That was a LARGE rescue if I remember right hundres of guinea pigs found that way.

The one sow that had the 7 pups had a bad case of bumblefoot from being on the wire bottom of the hutch. Treating that and being careful because she was heavily pregnant was a pain.

I only go through shelters and rescues now. I know the pigs there need homes. Most of the pigs you get from there did come from the pet stores and have been through a quarantine and also have another (if you want 2) in mind that can live with it peacefully.

I am a rescue now and I have 2 bonded sows that can and will be adopted together. Then there is a lone sow that I have not been able to place with another pig. She's a loner but enjoys cuddle time.

I have no clue where I am going with this other than to let you see another perspective. Shelter and rescue pigs are healthier (because they treat them the minute they see something) and you know more of a background on them when you get them than at petstores. Give them a try, you won't be disappointed.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Woah, its nice of you to rescue so many piggies. I really don't understand the point of wire bottoms. I think ppl should realize that it hurts, we wouldn't want to walk on it either. : ( arg.

GoOmiEz

Tags
dry food, guinea pig, pet store, pet stores