If A Piggie does not eat enough hay. . . - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
User Is No Longer Welcome

Question If A Piggie does not eat enough hay. . .

I was just wondering, if a GP does not eat enough hay, what symptoms if any may occur or be seen?

I am wondering if one of mine is eating enough hay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 09:40 PM
I live in a Pigdom

Hay is for their fiber, and also helps in the wearing down of their teeth. If they are not working their teeth enough they can over-grow and will need to be seen at a competant vet to have them trimmed (back ones too possibly).

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Question

Their teeth are fine. I was worried about digestion.

As I do reseerch online, I am wondering if ovarian cysts are an issue in an un spayed GP. Any experience with those?? Prognosis on the condition? Benign or malignant? Do they just keep growing and growing and growing. . . how fast? Treatment options and costs? Etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 10:23 PM
I live in a Pigdom

I have many gp's and so far have not had any diagnosed with ovarian cysts, my oldest being 6 years old. I do not know how fast they grow, the symptoms can include loss of hair on the sides, excessive crabbiness, and pain to the touch of that area.

I have a friend that has treated several of hers with HSG shots (I am not exactly sure what that is as I have not had any personal experience yet) and the ones that do not come around with the shots will need to be spayed.

Costs vary by region, the only thing I can suggest is to call your vet and ask.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

Question

I have researched this. She is not crabby. The area is not painful. She has symmetrical fur loss on boith sides and the belly. There is swelling on each side as if there was a chicken egg (in size) in there. She is 3 1/2, and unspayed, oi course.

I found this online:

>> Treatment is dependent on the kind of the disturbances, caused by the cysts. There is no need to treat small cysts without symptoms, hormonal active cysts can be treated with hormones (Gestagen, HCG, Buserelin) or homoeopathic. As initial treatment a series of 3 injections at intervals of 14 days prove successful, in many cases the effect is no long-term solution, treatment must after few months take place again. Periodical injections are necessary in an interval of approximately 5 months.

Treatment of choice is the surgical remove of the ovaries. It is indicated, if the cysts make problems or other health risks cause of their size. In the meantime the anaesthesia and operation techniques developed in a way, that surgery in guinea pigs is no greater risk then in other small animals. <<

It doesn't seem like injections are that helpful (?).

I have no idea how big these things get (is that chicken egg size the limit?), how important prompt treatment is (she acts and eats normally in every way), and what happens if they are not treated. Nor do I know how dangerous spaying is in an older piggie.

I ask all this to be knowledgeable when I do call the vet. I hope the one who advised me last Summer on Cushings Disease in my hamster Makeeda is still there. She I trusted.

This part of that quote I really don't understand it being incomplete in its information:

>> It is indicated, if the cysts make problems or other health risks cause of their size. <<

What health risks? What problems? How big?

Last edited by Zouave; 06-26-2005 at 04:52 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 09:34 AM
I live in a Pigdom

Health risks; when they rupture is my guess, as something that is prone to grow will have it's limits. I am not sure how big they can get, however think of the size of the animal they are growing in. If she is already looking like she has chicken eggs in her, that is big in my book.

I have sows here that have given birth (I've not bred them, they have come to me pregnant) that have a distinct baby belly that will never go away. I palpate to see how things are going in them while weighing in. So if you know the history on her to know if she has ever had pups, that might give you an idea on her belly.

Have you palpated to see if things are "hard or firm" internally?

Adopt a pet today!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Question

She did not have this a few months ago, plus she had all her fur. I am not sure when it started it came about so gradually, incrementally.

The area is not sensitive, and seems neither unusually firm nor soft.

I am starting a new thread on cysts in a few minutes. . .

Tags
guinea pig