Lazy, Porky Guinea pigs help PLEASE - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Lazy, Porky Guinea pigs help PLEASE

So my guinea pigs are both Lazy and porky if you read my previous thread you can watch em and they do nothing but lay in there house all day and sleep, someone said to try folding up some printer paper and let them play over it, so i did and i also filled it up with treats and they play with it for a couple minutes and then they loose interest and go back in there cage i have 2 guinea pigs with a 50 by 20 cage so its pretty big i think they may of mellowed out too there both about 2-3 years old

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 01:52 AM
Bat
Playful Pup

Do you let them out of their cage sometimes to run around? And bring them out for hugs, with added herbs to keep them interested.

I've recently moved mine into a much bigger cage, and they've started running around a lot more. They still won't sit where they think I can see them unless I'm sitting still myself, or they know I can't pick them up where they are.

Give them a choice of places to hide, and things to run through. Preferably at the far reaches of the cage. I gave mine some bits of slate (mostly because I don't like clipping their nails too often, but also to see what they did), which they seem to use as hurdles. They like tearing around their cage throwing themselves through their chubes, under their houses and leaping over their rocks, generally chasing each other. When one stops the other will go back and get it and they'll start again.

Which room do your pigs live in?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 01:54 AM
Bat
Playful Pup

Although I should probably mention that pigs quite like sleeping. Along with food and girls it's one of their 3 favourite things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 03:53 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I never was quick enough to see my gp play much, however, i woke up to him playing and could hear him in the other room and cleaned up all his mess when he threw his yesterdays news everywhere.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 05:48 AM
Rodentologist

If it's the same cage that was on your webcam yesterday, then it's way too small, and that's probably your primarily culprit.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yes it is the same cage but the camera distorts the size majorly and theres still another 20 inches behind the camera. its not that i dont want to get a bigger cage i really want a bigger cage its that my mom wont allow a bigger cage she says that one is huge and i disagree with her as much as possible i have 200 dollars i am willing to spend on these little guys to make them as happy as they can be
However when i got them this was the same cage, the original cage and i spesifically told my mom "I NEED A BIGGER CAGE" and she said ok now shes not living up to her deal. as for run around time i would love to do but these little guys poo...... alot and even when i do take them out they just stay in one place completely shell shocked, I would really love to take them out but they hide in the corner and go to the bathroom what do i dooooooooo

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 07:06 AM
Bat
Playful Pup

For floor time, cover places they're likely to hide in with old towels. provide houses for them, lay trails of herbs between them. Spend time sat next to the cage with herbs just chatting to them, or take to doing something quiet next to the cage. I do homework sat next to them, sometimes i watch Dvds near them (although not too loudly, they do desensitise, but loud noises still scare them). Every time you wander past their cage, drop a treat off for them (mine like basil, parsley and mint best) talk to them as you do it, tell them what you're doing, and then leave. Literally poke it through the bars, tell them what it is, if they can see you doing it all the better, then go.

They'll start looking for you because you bring treats. It's cupboard love

But they do need floor time. And more than one place to hide. they're much more secure moving between hiding places.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 07:10 AM
Rodentologist

It's not only a matter of length. The house in that poor piggie's cage takes up all of the "across" room so they really can't run around all that much. They are not "lazy", they are cramped and have the good sense to realize it.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 07:44 AM
Bat
Playful Pup

You can put hiding places in guinea-pig cages that don't take up any running space. building a table that's just over the height of a guinea-pig (they get taller when running, so we're talking 15cm or so), and has a surface area of two guinea-pigs (when viewed from above) with a support in each corner (attach these securely, and that the whole thing will survive being run into by guinea-pigs or chewed by guinea-pigs) will work. They then have a clear area to run in, plus they also have escape places to get away from each other.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

So should i take out the house? it does get quite frigid at night and thats the only one that would fit them it goes from fitting 1 guinea pig to fitting 3 i cant find a meduim size house, how long should floor time be? and how do i get them to auctually move around when i give them floor time? my mom doesnt want them running around the whole room so will one of those big play pens work like the ones for babies?

Tags
lazy, porky guinea pigs