Lice? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Junior Jouster

Lice?

I work at a vets office and took my guinea pig to see the doctor yesterday. Her doctor said that she has lice. We gave her an ivormectin injection with a follow up injection in 10 days. Is there anything I can do to help with getting rid of the lice? Her cagemate died a while ago so theres no other pigs in the cage. I'm going to clean the cage twice a week to make sure she doesn't get contaminated again.

Has anyone heard of using advanage on guinea pigs? I just don't want her to have a bad reaction to it.

Any help is appreciated!

Mini Horse: Moose
Mini Donkey: Letty
Potbelly Pig: Bubbles
Nigerian Dwarf Goats: Tidy Whitey, Josie, Elroy
Miniature Schnauzer: Leelo
German Wirehaired Pointer: Cricket
Human: Katie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Rodentologist

Keep everything very clean, and make sure that the entire cage is disinfected. Throw away anything that can't be, like cardboard.

Advantage is very commonly used on guinea pigs for lice, as is ivermectin, although they are not the same product.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Junior Jouster

Have you personally used advantage? I want to talk to someone who has personally put it on their (or someone elses) pig and made sure it hasn't had any reactions. Not that I don't believe you I just see dogs have severe reactions to lots of flea/tick preventatives, i just can't imagine if that happened to my little piggy!

I let her outside often too (where she got the lice originally), so I want to put it on her to prevent her from getting lice again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 05:36 AM
Rodentologist

Yes, I have personally used Advantage on guinea pigs. Not as often as some other medications, because we seem to have relatively less problems with lice than with mites, but commonly enough that I wouldn't have second thoughts about doing it again.

Here's the reference thread on GL where the vet techs and rescuers there discuss using Advantage

http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2488

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Junior Jouster

Thank you so much for the information, I'll try to use advantage!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Good Luck, how is your piggie doing on the treatment?

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Tags
bath, guinea pigs, ivormectin, lice, shampoo