Messy poop - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Messy poop

For a while I had only one guinea pig, Daphne. She was practically litter box trained, and very neat with her droppings and pee. I just got 2 more girls, and they are teeny tiny babies. But their poop is often messy, wet, and their pee is all over. I found some pee that looks brown, and I can't tell if it's from mixing with the poop or if it's possible blood in it.
I know that naturally guinea pig pee is supposed to be yellowy and milky...what about white and milky? If my babies make no noise of feeling discomfort or pain while doing their "business", does that mean I probably have less to worry about?
Does anyone know a lot about guinea pig "bathroom habits"?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 03:35 PM

You're correct, and have nothing to worry about in terms of the urine you are seeing. Guinea pig urine tends to be milky white-ish, so you're fine there

As for the "messy poop", I would pay some attention. The feces are supposed to be firm and pelleted, and signs of liquid-y fecal matter can point in the direction of diahrrea, which is not comfy. What vegetables are you feeding? Often times this can be avoided by steering away from water heavy vegetables such as iceburg lettuce. Also, how young are the pups? Alfalfa hay should be fed for babies up to 3 months, then switch to timothy hay (I apologize if this information is already known, just making sure I cover all the bases).

So, check the veggie intake, and see what happens. If you're not comfortable of course, see a vet

Tags
alfalfa hay, box trained, guinea pig, litter box, litter box trained, timothy hay