My Baby Pig Is Chewing His Toes.. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question My Baby Pig Is Chewing His Toes..

One of the babies that were born Jan 10th has started chewing his claws on his back foot.The first time I thought was an accident but now three claws are missing and the area has dried blood.

Any ideas on why it would do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 07:27 AM
Formerly known as Lucy_Madden

no idea... but i hope he gets better

My pets:

2 yorkshires (Ankh and Amy)
4 rats (Aaron, Thor, Lee)
1 hamster (Panda)
13 Guinea piggies
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 07:31 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I have no idea ether. I'd scatter alfalfa hay all over , maybe he'll decide chewing on that is much tastier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

They have hay and a carrots but now three toes are gone. Anyone know if they make those collar thingies for guinea pigs?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 07:41 AM
I live in a Pigdom

No collars for pigs.

I am wondering if there is nerve damage and the pup can not feel his/her feet therefore chewing on them is not a problem. I have never had anything like this happen. If it were mine I would be going to the vet to see if there is anything wrong or if they could do anything for it.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 07:52 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Are you sure he is doing it to himself? maybe there's another culprit, like the other baby.
Sometimes you'll see pigs with missing ears because the others have eaten them off. Or sometimes Mom can get carried away with cleaning up after birth and causing wounds or chewing off something else by mistake.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Lee
Or sometimes Mom can get carried away with cleaning up after birth and causing wounds or chewing off something else by mistake.
I had guinea pigs a couple of years ago and they went through several batches of babies. I remember the mama guinea pig cleaned the babies all of the time. Sometimes she would roll over the top of them or nudge them with her head. Maybe, like linda said, the mom is getting carried away. I can't remember how long it took for the babies to eat "big pig" food, but if they are eating on their own you may want to separate him (the baby) in another home, but keep him near by his mom.
When I separated my boy piggies and girl piggies I used chicken wire that had been clamped so they couldn't get through. You could try chicken wire between the herd and the affected baby with maybe some plastic panel for extra protection. That way they can still talk but you can determine if he is the one causing the damage.

--------------------
~Marcia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------------------

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Seeker of Orbs

when we got hagrid he did that...not to that extreme.....but we'd catch him chewing on his toes..almost like they were bothering him-drivin' him crazy! We'd just give him a gentle 'nono' and poke and now he only does it every once in a while , when he cleans... he does have that wonky toe so maybe it DOES bother him...

are yours toenails long maybe? or...were they?

hope you can figure out why he's doing this.

~beth

thank you!--->

RIP hagrid. Pheonix! RIP, sweet piggie[/URL]

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 01:43 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Do you think that maybe he could be allergic to his bedding or something? As something as simple as that could cause such an adverse reaction and to me it sounds like hes chewing at his claws for some kind of relief!? Or like crzy4piggers said maybe he has nerve damage or something but in both cases it would be best to get him checked out by a vet. Please let us know how you go on with him and hope he's feeling better soon

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I have no idea what might be causing it.I have moved her(I don't know why I was calling her a he) and her sister into another house.She is wearing a collar I made for her and it seems to be working.We will be going to the vet in the morning.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

The vet wasn't sure why she was doing it.She has no skin problems but her injured leg did seem a bit stiffer than the other.She has put her on pain medicine and oral antibiotics to help her out.She has to keep her lil collar on to keep her from chewing on her feet more.

Hopefully she'll feel better soon.

Thanks for all your advice.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Glad to hear shes ok, please keep us posted on her progress as she sounds like a special little girl

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Tags
alfalfa hay, chicken wire, guinea pig