My Fiance's little sister is driving me nuts with her Guinea pig! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Angry My Fiance's little sister is driving me nuts with her Guinea pig!

My Fiance's 11 year old sister has 1 female guinea pig, aged around 2 years old or older.

She obsesses about it and it's basically the only thing she talks about, it's driving everyone nuts, shes had her for over 2 years! If the guinea pig does something strange she freaks out and thinks something is wrong. Shes constantly texting me on my phone asking ME if something is wrong...for something silly like "Rainbow is walking around her cage and looks dizzy, whats wrong?" and weird things like that.

She also has no idea how to pick her up and is always dropping her...ON HER HEAD, and shes always texting me saying how she dropped her guinea pig and is now worried (although the guinea pig is FINE and has no signs of damage). I have tried to teach her how to properly pick her up but she claims the guinea pig doesn't like it and that it doesn't work.

I even have to travel to her house every few weeks to trim the guinea's nails...I had to learn how to do it! She says she is too scared to. I knew she was not responsible enough for a pet, but nobody listened to me.

I have no idea what to do, I have never even owned a guinea pig!

Last edited by DeguLover2009; 08-10-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

No 11 year old is fully able to have a pet and take full responsibility and if she had it for 2 years she got it when she was 9 and that is not a pet you give a 9 year old and say good luck.

Adults needed to take the responsibility and the 9 year old gets most of the fun. Thats how giving a kid a pet works. they have all the fun, some of the responsibility and you have all the stress heart ache and responsibility.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

oh my!! I can see why you're frustrated!! I hate it when parents get a young child a pet and expect to take no part in its care!

Hehe--tell her Rainbow is probably dizzy because she was dropped on her head again from not being picked up properly!! LOL

Mandy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvPets View Post
oh my!! I can see why you're frustrated!! I hate it when parents get a young child a pet and expect to take no part in its care!

Hehe--tell her Rainbow is probably dizzy because she was dropped on her head again from not being picked up properly!! LOL

I did tell her that! LOL

She does take care of it though, cleans it's giant C&C cage mostly by herself. She feeds it, plays with it, and is doing really well. But shes lacking in some areas like being too afraid to clip it's nails, and she can't do 100% of everything on her own.

The majority of the frustration comes from her freaking out over every thing it does and I have to assure her that it's fine.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Playful Pup

my bf's daughter is 11 and has 1 guinea pig, 1 Chinchilla, a bird, and 2 dogs....she accumulated these animals by proving that if she could care for them almost on her own...then she could get another. She just got the Chinchilla....pays for them with her allowance...but still has her parents for the major things and concerns. I am very proud of her...so some 11 yr olds Can take responsibility very well. I am even scared to do their nails!!! give her time...she'll grow into it. Sounds like she is doing pretty well.

PiggieSlave

Abby--> 2 mo's
Molly--> 3 mo's
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggieslave View Post
my bf's daughter is 11 and has 1 guinea pig, 1 Chinchilla, a bird, and 2 dogs....she accumulated these animals by proving that if she could care for them almost on her own...then she could get another. She just got the Chinchilla....pays for them with her allowance...but still has her parents for the major things and concerns. I am very proud of her...so some 11 yr olds Can take responsibility very well. I am even scared to do their nails!!! give her time...she'll grow into it. Sounds like she is doing pretty well.

Dang she sounds responsible. I'm scared to cut the nails too, and have even cut the quick on accident once Her guinea pig has even gotten bumble foot or some type of fungus on one of it's paws because of wet bedding :\ and now her paw is forever deformed.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 10:44 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well, that's good that she's taking as much responsibility as she is!! Forgive me for my ignorance, but how often to their nails need trimmed and what would a vet charge for doing it? Just a though!! I can understand the fear, I am afraid to trim my kitties nails! Everyone tells me I need to, but I hurt her once, so I just let her file them down on her scratching post!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvPets View Post
Well, that's good that she's taking as much responsibility as she is!! Forgive me for my ignorance, but how often to their nails need trimmed and what would a vet charge for doing it? Just a though!! I can understand the fear, I am afraid to trim my kitties nails! Everyone tells me I need to, but I hurt her once, so I just let her file them down on her scratching post!
Her mother would never take her to the vet to have the nails trimmed, her mom HATES animals and hates the fact that she has a guinea pig

You shouldn't be afraid of hurting your kitty, it's okay if you cut the quick...it only hurts for a moment and they are over it (in my experience), it does no harm and it grows back.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:50 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You could get a piece of brick or something that the pig has to run across to eat or drink so it files the nails for you.

It sounds like she does have a lot of responsibility but still needs someone to do the major things. Just be happy she didn't get bored of it in 2 years.

[/CENTER]

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
Just be happy she didn't get bored of it in 2 years.
She kind of has. She already wants a 2nd one ( a baby ). The only reason she got a guinea pig in the first place is because she thought they were cute, she knew nothing about them at all.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

but her parents aren't helping her? I mean it's normal for an 11 year old to obsess about her pet, and i find it actually good she's still as enthused about it, a lot of kids would just lose interest.

The only thing I find weird is that you have to deal with it and not her parents.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustette View Post
The only thing I find weird is that you have to deal with it and not her parents.

Yeah, that's kinda how I felt!! Why you?

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Phineas--male guinea pig

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustette View Post
but her parents aren't helping her? I mean it's normal for an 11 year old to obsess about her pet, and i find it actually good she's still as enthused about it, a lot of kids would just lose interest.

She only lives with her mom, who hates animals. She will not touch the guinea pig and every day says how she wishes it would die already (YEAH, I KNOW. TERRIBLE).

Her mom only helps her take the huge cage outside to be cleaned.

It's not healthy to obsess like she does, thinking that it's every move means that something is wrong.....she cries and gets hysterical about it, making her mom wish that it would just die already because shes obsessed about it.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

That is sad, and i'm sorry you have to deal with that, but it's really nice that you're helping out as much as you can
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Adolescent Pup

piggieslave, your bf's daughter does sound very responsible, more responsibe than some pet owners ive met...

2 dogs- Amie(16) and jack(10)(Terrier x's)
Degus
2 Fish tanks - Fancy Goldfish , Aequidens rivulatus (Green Terror called Hulk),Cichlasoma octofasciatum (Electric Blue Jack Dempsey called Bambi).
2 Bearded Dragons - Yoshi and Ella.