My guinea pig will not eat Oxbow Benne Terre! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

My guinea pig will not eat Oxbow Benne Terre!

Just before my fiance and I left for NY on November 17th, I had my guinea pig fully transitioned over to Oxbow's Benne Terre Cavy diet.

I used to feed Zupreem since my money is limited (I get $30 a month from my parents to spend on pet food), and it was cheap. ..That was until the store that carries it, and the ONLY store that carries it(besides Petco but I'll get to that in just a bit), wasn't taking care of the animals in their store appropriately. So now I refuse to do business there.

Now Petco carries Zupreem, but it's 12.99 a bag instead of 5.99 - which was the price at the pet store I now refuse to do business at.

Moppy, my guinea pig, as near as I can figure, doesn't like the Oxbow pellets due to their size. They're twice the size of Zupreem's, and I think, at her age now of 3 1/2 years old, she finds the smaller size much more easier to manage.

But I am running out of options. The only other food options are Brown's Tropical Carnival, which I refuse to get because it's got seeds and colored bits in it, which is bad for guinea pigs. Kaytee Fiesta, which I also won't get for the same reason - seeds and food coloring. Mazuri, which I won't get because it contains Animal Fat as an ingredient, which...uh, well, guinea pigs are herbivores, not omnivores or carnivores.

I leave the Oxbow pellets in her dish, and she rather starve than touch them. They must be too big for her jaws, or something.

Anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

That's weird, the regular Oxbow pellets are pretty small. Or at least compared to the other brands I've seen. Maybe try Cavy Cuisine. If you can't find it anywhere, consider ordering online.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Hello Earthling

Have you thought of breaking the pellets up a bit?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
That's weird, the regular Oxbow pellets are pretty small. Or at least compared to the other brands I've seen. Maybe try Cavy Cuisine. If you can't find it anywhere, consider ordering online.
She used to eat Cavy Cuisine, back when we lived in NY. It's not available anywhere here, at least...not anywhere that wouldn't cost too much in gas. And ordering online, as far as I know, would be a lot of money.

I'm trying to evenly split up the $30 dollars into pig food, rabbit food, good hay, and cat food for our two cats. :/ And for any site I've been on, shipping fees are absolutely horrendous..
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
Have you thought of breaking the pellets up a bit?
I don't think the problem is the length, necessarily. But it's the actual diameter, you know?. I can try and get a picture of the size comparison if you'd like.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Rodentologist

It's unlikely that it's due to size, it's more likely due to taste. Oxbow's Bene Terra doesn't have any sugar added in it, and Zupreem has a fairly large amount of pure sugar in it.

I would leave them in there, and as long as she's getting lots of fresh vegetables and hay, she's not in any nutritional danger.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

It's official, it is the taste, yes. My fiance's father used a type of device(I wanna say nutcracker but that's not it) and he split the pellet down, length-wise. I offered it to her, she took it in her mouth to see what it was, and then dropped it immediately.

I still don't understand why it happened so all of a sudden. When she was on it previously she ate it just fine. Now she just...isn't. I put it in her bowl and she doesn't even bother running over to it to check it out. I'm wondering if perhaps having her associate it with positive reinforcement might work?

I even spent 10 minutes breaking every individual pellet in her bowl in half, to try out canadiancritter's suggestion, and she didn't even check it out to humor me! Lol.

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 12-07-2009 at 05:14 PM.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 05:22 PM
is a little "special"

Maybe you can try a different brand, or look for her favorite somewhere else. We use the Kaytee Timothy pellets, and our guinea pigs like them, though they have never been crazy about pellets. They like their hay and veggies much better.
Have you checked farm supply stores? At petstores, the stuff I buy is $12.99... At Fleet Farm, its $4.99.
Another thing you can do to save enough money to buy her favorite pellets again is buy hay by the bale, and not in the little bags. A $5 bale of hay lasts us, with 2 pigs and 2 buns, 2-3 months. Just an idea

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Maybe you can try a different brand, or look for her favorite somewhere else. We use the Kaytee Timothy pellets, and our guinea pigs like them, though they have never been crazy about pellets. They like their hay and veggies much better.
Have you checked farm supply stores? At petstores, the stuff I buy is $12.99... At Fleet Farm, its $4.99.
Another thing you can do to save enough money to buy her favorite pellets again is buy hay by the bale, and not in the little bags. A $5 bale of hay lasts us, with 2 pigs and 2 buns, 2-3 months. Just an idea
We live where there's lots of horses around, there are cheap bales of hay for very very cheap, but they're all mostly alfalfa hay. One woman I even talked to, was very honest with me - she said she fed her guinea pigs the hay she was growing, and it killed them. :/

The only type of food we have at Farm supply stores(Like TSC here), is L&M Animal Farms. Ew. >_< Bad stuff. But I get their hay because it's $6, and often it's the only money I have left over from getting rabbit food, and guinea pig food. Sometimes it's a 50/50 coin toss whether they either get hay, or bedding material, because I get their bedding material at TSC, and it's also $6.

Otherwise I'd Looooove to get the cheap bales of hay. But I'm a little concerned because no one seems to grow Timothy, and even then, I worry about pesticides. Probably an unfounded worry since they're usually sold specifically for farm animals, but.......

I agree, that would probably save a lot of money. I'm just really concerned after hearing that. And I think she was the only supplier of timothy hay around here.

The only close store that has a wider assortment of small animal feed is the Pet Supplies Plus near here - I try to limit how much I buy from them, because their live animals are placed on cedar shavings, but beggars can't be choosers, I suppose. Anyway, that's the exact store that sells the Oxbow Benne Terre, they also sell Gerty Guinea Pig by Supreme Pet Foods, which has seeds and other unnatural ingredients for guinea pigs, they also sell...let's see, what else do they have for guinea pigs.... They have Armada, which is actually produced right here in Michigan, but it's alfalfa-based, and honestly doesn't have the most brilliant of ingredients. They do sell Kaytee, actually they sell different brands of Kaytee feed in uh...what would you call them.... tube...feeders...? It's like, you take one of those rip-off bags, and you place it under one of the tube feeders, and they'll price it based on pounds(at least I figure how it's done).

Moppy has had her types of pellets switched and changed throughout her entire life. She started out on Kaytee Timothy Complete, and then I switched her to.... I think it was Oxbow's Cavy Cuisine(because it was available where we lived back in NY - though I'd never do business with that pet store again because they sold my mom a parakeet with Scaley Face Mites and then tried to deny that the bird wasn't already missing plumage when they sold her the bird). Anyway, I switched her to Cavy Cuisine by Oxbow when I found out Kaytee's Timothy Complete, and actually many of their products, I believe, contain Ethoxyquin as a preservative. To put it into perspective, fish, not designed for human consumption is actually preserved in Ethoxyquin and then sold to pet food companies to use in their animal feed.

http://www.avianweb.com/ethoxyquin.htm

So as nice and convenient money-wise it would be to switch her back over to her original feed, I'm not going to subject her to those risks.

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 12-07-2009 at 05:50 PM.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 04:09 PM
is a little "special"

I just checked the ingediants, and I dont see it on there. Are you sure?
The Pet Supplies Plus here is acually the best pet store in the area, so I always buy stuff from there. Do the tube things say the ingrediants? As long as they food has good ingrediants, is timothy based, and has the right percentages of protien, fiber, ect. I wouldnt worry about the brand too much.

When I buy bales of hay, I acually go through them and pick out the bales that look like good grass hay. There probably is some alfalfa in it, but its not a huge deal since all but one of my small animals are nearing/in their golden years. And the hay that you feed them doesnt have to be specifically timothy hay- any grass hay that isnt alfalfa is just fine.
Good luck!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Kaytee Timothy Complete Guinea Pig Food
Sun-cured timothy grass hay, wheat middlings, ground wheat, oat hulls, dehulled soybean meal, alfalfa meal, dried cane molasses, salt, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), dl-methionine, yucca schidigera extract, vitamin A supplement, choline chloride, ferrous carbonate, riboflavin supplement, manganous oxide, zinc oxide, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, ethoxyquin (a preservative), menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), copper oxide, cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3), calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, folic acid, calcium iodate, dried A. oryzae fermentation extract (source of protease), dried bacillus coagulans fermentation product, dried bacillus subtilis fermentation product, cobalt carbonate, sodium selenite.

Is that the food you are talking about? I just decided to look it up because I learned about Ethoxyquin when I was researching dog foods.

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 06:41 PM
is a little "special"

Ugh, darn it. It wasnt in the ingrediants when I read the back of the bag.
What are the symptoms if it is harming the guinea pigs? Im not trying to write it off, but with the expenses of our other pets *coughWinkcough* we cant really afford anything else ATM. I told my mom about it, so when I make some money Ill buy them something else.

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

That'd be it, Dragonrain.

Jess - Here's a quote from the vet who wrote the article:

"We are now seeing both in the animal and human populations, a sharing of chronic degenerative diseases such as generalized allergies, arthritis, dermatitis, congestive heart failure, kidney failure, liver pathologies, diabetes, AIDS, tumors and cancer. Also, lifespans of animals have shortened during this period."

"We have learned "E" is used as a preservative in such widely marketed dog foods as ANF, NutriMax, Hills Prescription Diet WID (sold in vet hospitals!), Nutro, Purina, IAMS, Royal Canine USA; and in livestock feeds by Willowbrook Mills in Petaluma to preserve Crumbles for laying chickens, and dehydrated forage crops of alfalfa, barley, clovers, corn, oats, wheat, fescue and various grasses."

"
1. A breeder of Rottweilers lost a dog with liver cancer after switching to feeding ANF for 6 months.
2. A German Shepherd breeder lost a stud dog to cancer of the mouth, feeding dog food containing "E."
3. A woman had skin allergies develop in her German Shepherd fed on NutroMax ("E" preserved) and then switched to Solid Gold (no "E") with the dermatitis allergy disappearing."

So there could be a range of different symptoms to look out for, really. The scary thing is, guinea pigs, rabbits, etc etc...they're all prey animals. Their main instinct is to not appear weak and therefore defenseless and easy to pick off. That's still instinct, even though they're tucked away safe and sound in cages. :/

I dunno...lethargy, maybe? Eyes that aren't bright and shining? Maybe look out for those?
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 02:18 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

So if its taste then chop up green veggies in the pellets if its good for them to eat, so the juice makes them taste better.

[/CENTER]

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 05:32 AM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
So if its taste then chop up green veggies in the pellets if its good for them to eat, so the juice makes them taste better.

Would not adding liquid to the pellets make then go bad faster?

Tags
hungry, too big, yuck