my guines pig experience - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

my guines pig experience

after i was told on this forum that having 2 guinea pigs was better then having 1 happy one, i went out and chose another young male to live with the one i already have, i read up on intriducing them, and placed both GP on the house floor watching carfully. my older GP started sniffing the new one, then sort of flipped, it jumped on it, making high pitched squecks, the new GP tried to bite mine. what im trying to say is they started to fight, i put the old male back into his hutch and the new one into his temporary home, and tried the next night, pretty much the same thing happened, they were fighting, it was the older male that didnt like the new one. although the new GP i bought was fighting back, it was turning nasty and my old GP was bitten on his ear and a chunck is now missing. so, all you members who told me i should buy another one and make my guinea pig happier were wrong, all thats happened is i now have 1 extra lone guinea pig,that i didnt want on its own, my old male slightly injured, and i now have to pay for extra food and supplies for the new one as the pet shop wont take him back.
thats what you get for taking others advice when somethings working perfectly for you already.
its clear that my old male wasnt unhappy living alone, and the new male is now alone too, so instead of having 2 males together, i have my original male still alone, and my other newer male alone too.
fantastic

fur_ball
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 06:06 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I understand that you are upset but everyone meant well. Also, I wouldn't give up just yet .

Maybe rather then just put them together you can try having them next to each other and letting them interact through a babygate or pen? That works for rabbits...they slowly get used to each other. Also, you can try switching them between the cages so they get used to each other's scent. I have to admit I've never introduced guinea pigs but these are techniques that work for rabbits and degus.

Here is a link you might be interested in: Guinea Pigs Social Life

Good luck and I'm sorry this happend . I know introducing animals can be frusterating. Believe it or not it once took me eight months to bond two rabbits but in the end they were best buddies. Guinea pigs are supposed to be easier to bond, though.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 06:10 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

often an older one can be grumpy with a baby and it takes a little while. hopefully they work out or maybe you could find a new home for your second pig if you really dont want it. and as for having to buy the more supplys other than bedding, they would eat 2 times as much and probably need 2 times the amount of hidies and need more space anyway.

[/CENTER]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 06:11 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Wow, I'm sorry you having such a hard time and I hope things get better but I agree with the above poster. Don't give up yet, there are other methods you could try to use and sometimes it takes a while.

Life's not about how to survive the storm, It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Momma to: 2 human children Audree (2) and Jacob (7 mo.)
3 Doggies: Angel (13), Cricket (1), and Diesel (4mo.)
1 Kitty: Mazey (Age unknown)
2 ferrets - Mocha and Marshall
1 bunny - Ice

Working to make a change, one paw at a time!
Volunteer - Skinny Little Buddy's Rescue
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 06:30 PM
Part of the Pack

If you knew your old gp was happy on his own, you should have left it that way, it was your choice to listen to the advice of others. Live with the consequences and learn something from the experience. Don't blame others for your choices.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Sorry your having that experience and i can understand why you would be upset..you want your piggies to be friends but....most of the time they should be introduced s l o w l y. Also introduce them in neutral territory. Also remember no one forces anyone what to do ...we all make our own decisions. Did you do any research about introductions before you just put them down together?? That is VERY important!

Dont give up..they just may need some time.

Some other good links...

Introducing your guinea pig to a new friend : CavyRescue

Guinea Pigs: Introducing 2 boars

Guinea Pig Behavior & Socialization

Introducing Two New Guinea-Pigs
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 08:49 PM
Rodentologist

One anecdote does not equal fact. I'm sorry that your introduction did not go well, but that's always a possibility. In fact, the Guinea Pig Social Page that is linked to several times here explicitly states that you need to plan ahead in case they DON'T get along. Pigs have their own personalities. They're not all going to get along, just like not all people are going to get along.

This is why going to rescues is always pushed over going to pet stores. Rescues are willing to work with you to play "the dating game" to make sure introductions go well, and are happy to take back pigs that aren't getting along, so you aren't "stuck" with two lone pigs.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

i did introduce them slowly, on neutral ground, i let them see each other first, before any contact, i tried again and again over a period of 2 weeks ish, till i got fedup with my guinea pigs becoming injured.i was repeated told getting another one would be best, and was shouted at for saying my lone guinea pig is happy on its own.
after reading lots on the net and in different books, ive tried a few ways, ive swapped toys around, added mirrors to each other hutches for them to see another guinea pig and loads of other things.nothing works. i was right, my older guinea pig was happy alone.
as for the 2x more of everything, i meant space, buying more treats and food, if they lived together, one bottle of water would be enough, so would 1 food dish, and the same amount of wood shavings, plus it wouldnt take up more room and have another pet to look after, i wont rehome it, firstly as its my duty to look after it, and secondly theirs no where that will take it, i made the wrong decision to get another, based on the information other members gave me.i will look after this one alone as well now.i will not be trying to indroduce them again, several times it has not worked, and i will not risk either ones health again.
i read lots of different site about introducing the 2, some of the sites recemended by you lot ive already read.
it just goes to prove, taking other advice of "experts" in this forum, doesnt always work.

fur_ball

post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 04:41 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I think you are being unfair here. You may have made the decision based on advice from this forum but YOU still made the decision. Nobody knows your pets like you do and if you thought your original piggie was happy then you should have stuck with your gut feeling. I'm not trying to be mean but don't blame it on the people here. It is fact that g.p.'s are social animals and generally happier when kept with another.

Sadie,Jewel,and Zucco
Minnie
Sweetheart

Plus a proud foster momma to Momma and Mable

Proud foster mom to Naomi
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

im not blaming you, just explaining your not always right, i think i have the right to be annoyed, g.p might be social, but not mine, i was going to go with my gut feeling, but after being gacked at by other members, i felt guilty keeping my gp alone.

fur_ball

post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 04:48 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

What size of cage do you have, Fur ball?

Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home

Last edited by Ambieruns10; 03-17-2007 at 04:55 PM.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 04:48 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
it just goes to prove, taking other advice of "experts" in this forum, doesnt always work.
i for one NEVER claim to be an "expert".

No one can blame anyone for a decison they made on their own...no one forced you to get another piggie ..you went and did that on advice from others, yes that is true. No one guaranteed it would work out.

Im sure you really did it cuz you wanted the best for your piggie and were putting what you thought he needed above what you really wanted to do. ...and not to prove anyones advice was wrong.That is good and shows you care about your pets.

Very sorry that sometimes things just dont work out.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

i dont knwo the size of my hutch, i will measure it when i can but its raining now. it is very big though, as me and my dad built it for a rabbit, but instead bought a guinea pig as i fell in love it when i saw it. my other newer one is in a temporary home at the moment, a large wooden box we quickly build (4 pieces of wood and a few nails/screws) we will be building another one as its staying long term now.

fur_ball

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm sorry things didn't work out but I don't think it's fair to blame the other members. In the end, it was up to you. No one forced you to get another guinea pig. At the same time I don't think it was fair for other members to make you feel bad for having a lone guinea pig...if they did (though I never witnessed that happen).

Have you looked into neutering? I've known people who have been in similar situations but once they get one or both males neutered the fighting stopped .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Here is the other thread you started and you got offended with peoples advice you asked for.

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f14/f...jam-39279.html

just wondering..What thread are you talking about where "experts" told you to get another piggie and made you feel guilty?
Closed Thread

Tags
food dishes, guinea pig, guinea pig cage, guinea pig cages, males together, pet shop, pet store, pet stores, pig cages, social animals, wood shavings