My piggy is licking me - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

My piggy is licking me

This is the first time I've had a pig that licks. Gertie has been coming up to my face to hang out , and she keeps licking me!
Now what does this mean? Do I just taste interesting or does it mean she is lavashing me with piggie attention?
Gertie is diffinately the most friendly pig I've ever had. I'm so glad I got #7 pig- I think I really like short hair pigs the most now!
But I guess breed makes no difference in personality because I had a white crested that was the meanest pig I ever owned too.

:smile: Thank you Jenn for helping me decide "yes" to getting another piggie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 09:48 AM
Erin

Little Pig lavishes my arm in attention when I have her out. I don't know what it means, but it's sure better than Raven's method of affection.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 10:14 AM
still waiting for a title

Patrick does it too. It is when he is all snuggly, just like a puppy dog. I think it is a sign of affection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Leigh Ann, Scott, Patrick, Pumpkin, Gizzy Izzy Wizzy, Brighton, Princess Jill, and Baby Jaqueline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 02:41 PM
Newborn Pup

I've read they sometimes lick because of the salty taste of our skin (and it will be more salty if you've recently sweated). From what I've observed, this seems to be the case. The pigs lick my son the most (teenaged boys are probably very salty ), and me the least.

Also, from my small sample (of 5 pigs), some pigs are more "licky" than others. LittleRickie and Pearly are our lickers. Pearly even likes to suck! Dara and Daisy are the least licky, and WalterP falls somewhere in between. Daisy, however, is big on kissing, which is not the same as licking. :tongue3:
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'd like to think it's affection, but I guess I'll never know for sure. But she sure was acting extra cuddley yesterday.

My husband actually offered to buy me a new guinea pig !
He never ever bought me a pet in my life, he always told me I get enough on my own. But anyway tommorow is my birthday and I know he has no idea of what to get me so I guess that's why , but like I said this has never happened in my life.
So will see, maybe Gertie will have a new friend soon. But I don't think tommorow because I'm still painting the pig room and need to start building cages again.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 03:35 PM
Adolescent Pup

Brandie likes to sit on my chest and just kiss and lick my chin... she does constantly though just talking softly the whole time. After awhile it starts tickling so much and I start laughing and she just keeps at it! What a sweetheart!

You're welcome Linda ~ after seeing all the wild hair versions of my girls in your pigtures I got me a few abbys and now I'm in love with them!! You're right though, it's not breed-related, it's just individual personality... but boy I sure think the wild hair in combination with the unique personalities is a great match!

~ I guess I was typing this while you added another reply Linda ~ The girls and I wish you the happiest of birthdays!! You'd better take your husband up on that offer before he has time to take it back! LOL

~Chalupa, Lady, Moxie, Paiseley & Boozer~

Last edited by piggiemommy; 04-17-2003 at 03:38 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 03:39 PM
Fungus Mungus Rep

I love it when they give kisses. Funny though, I cant stand dog kisses. I guess I am not a dog person.

Sidney is our only licky kisser. He doesnt just lick as if it were the salty taste. And I have offered him a saltine to see if he would lick off the salt. But he wont. So I figure Sidney must be giving real kisses. He does this most when held in a room away from other GP cages. If you pet him just right he talks and licks every once in a while.

Occasionally he even does something I think is an immitation of the kissy sounds we make when kissing his fur. It sounds almost exactly like the sound we make, and he is the only pig that does it.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Sidney and Brandie (and the other licky piggies too mentioned)sound like extra special piggies !

Your right Jenn, I'd better take my husband up on this very special offer- he may come to his senses soon-:tongue2:

Thanks for the Birthday wish.

Last edited by Linda Lee; 04-17-2003 at 03:48 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 04:57 PM
Toilet Paper Deputy In Training

Picasso is a chin-licker too!

Baxter licks me when he has to pee
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 09:25 PM
still waiting for a title

I don't think it is necessarily the salt either because I have a low salt content in my system.

Leigh Ann, Scott, Patrick, Pumpkin, Gizzy Izzy Wizzy, Brighton, Princess Jill, and Baby Jaqueline
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 09:38 PM
Newborn Pup

Yes, I didn't mean to say that saltiness was the only reason. I think some like the salt, and some are just lickers and it's a way for them to show affection .

piggiemommy, a few times, WalterP has done the same thing to me that Brandie does. It is SO affectionate and SO tickly!! ....So special!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 12:56 AM
It's all in my head!

Harry is the only one that has licked me. Which is really kind of odd because he usually does not like to cuddle. He is a wiggler.

Cavy slave to Mama Christie, Scruffy, Sno pig and Harry.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 01:14 AM
Playful Pup

My only pig that licks doesn't even lick me. She licks my boyfriend. She's just up to something, I know it!

The member formerly known as Sumerlei

You must be the change you want to see in the world.

-Mahatma Gandhi
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 09:24 AM
Formerly Known as Masterjack

All of mine have licked us on occasion. But they prefer my teenage daughter over everyone else! I am patiently waiting but maybe when I'm holding them they are loving all the scratching they don't have time to lick! Yeah thats it!

Tags
guinea pig