Need basics on weaning, etc. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Need basics on weaning, etc.

Hey all you GP folks,

One of the girls here at work is trying to help her sister out. Her sister's GP just had 3 babies. They're going to find homes for them, but the other female is pregnant already too.

I told her I'd gather some info on weaning, separating parents (I don't know if dad is still together with them), etc. The plan is to neuter the males by our exotic vet here in the hospital, but an oops happened before that could be done, apparently.

Any info welcome!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 06:20 PM
Part of the Pack

Male guinea pig pups should be separated from their sisters and mother at 4 weeks of age. At any time after 4 weeks, they can have viable sperm. The females can wean anytime from 4-6 weeks of age and will do so on their own.

Can you clarify who the other pregnant female is? One of the pups?

I would suggest keeping all males and females competely separated until neutering. Even then I don't really advocate neutering guinea pigs unless it's absolutely necessary. They do fine in same sex groups or pairs so why risk the surgery?

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'll pass the info on not neutering on, but they're not my guinea pigs. Our exotic vet has done many a neuter on GPs though.

From what I understand, another female is pregnant in addition to the one that just had babies.

Do the females go right back into estrus after giving birth like chinchillas do?

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 09:22 PM
Formerly Known as Masterjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade

Do the females go right back into estrus after giving birth like chinchillas do?
Yes they do.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 10:18 PM
I live in a Pigdom

Okay, I take the male pups out at 3 weeks of age, with no ill effects. I am not chancing anything.

If you really want the low down read here Everything you didn't want to know but will...

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 10:58 PM
Part of the Pack

I would also keep the pregnant sow in her own cage, as some gals can get hormonal and grouchy towards other pigs. Some sows do fine together with cagemates during pregnancy/delivery and will even help clean off the pups, but again there is the risk that a cagemate might hurt or kill the mother's pups.

I divided off a 2x4 section of my C&C cage for Stella to deliver her litter in. She could still see and smell the other girls but they did not interact.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 05:31 AM
Adolescent Pup

Baby pigs tend to start sampling what the mother is eating when they are a couple of days old, I know when we had the babies their mum weaned them herself more or less. They were mainly on pellets and veg by 2 weeks. I'd separate the males at 3 weeks (youngest sow to get pregnant was 24 days, I don't feel it's worth the risk). Just keep an eye on them, the mum should do the rest. With the other girl, don't feed too much veg in the last week or so of pregnancy, and give alfalfa hay to both the mothers and babies. That's all I can think of right now. Tell 'em good luck

Punish the deed, not the breed!

Tags
alfalfa hay, exotic vet, guinea pig