Need to gain some fast weight!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
And here I am again, showing my butt!

Exclamation Need to gain some fast weight!!

What can I feed Olivia, who is suffering with bad malocclusion, that will add some fast ounces? (She will be getting another planing Monday morning.)

I am feeding her the following:
4 cc Critical Care 4 times a day = 16 cc Critical Care/day
2 cc water 4 times a day = 8 cc Water/day

She is not able to eat anything on her own whatsoever. She continues to lose weight. What can I do to sustain her long enough to get treatment Monday morning?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 10:01 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Mix some oats in the critical care. Crush them up, and get some Nutri-Cal from the pet store. If you can't find any at the pet store, call me at Animal Emergency (it's in the book) and I can buy you a tube. I had to do both for Elvis and it finally helped him sustain his weight.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

I only have instant oatmeal right now. Will that be okay until I can get plain oats tomorrow??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 10:04 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Nuh-uh. No instant, too many preservatives, etc. Do you have a 24 hr grocery nearby?

Stephanie

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

I spoke too soon -- I just found some Quick Oats in the cabinet. Can I mix some baby food with it and give it to her that way? I ask because I just fed her the CC and she's not gonna want anymore of that tonight!

And do I need to prepare it first -- get it good 'n gooey??
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 10:08 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I wouldn't see why you couldn't mix them with the baby food. I'd smash the oats as much as you can so she doesn't have to feel like she needs to chew them. Then mix it into a paste type mixture.

BTW the oats are, plain and simple, carbohydrates, which she needs.

Stephanie

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Makes perfect sense.

I just mix them in uncooked and flakey?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 10:16 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yup. Crushed and as tiny as you can get them. (Makes me wish I had one of those old fashioned medicine bowls with the wooden piece to crush them ... I can't think of the name!) OR! A coffee grinder would work too!

Stephanie

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Mortar & pestal.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 10:18 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thank you!!

Stephanie

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

I'm gonna go do that right now -- I might call you later on if that's okay.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 10:20 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Sure, not a problem!! I'm usually up and always willing to help someone out even if I'm not!

Stephanie

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Viola -- long live the food processor!! I was able to pulverize the oats to a fine powder. Now to pick the baby food -- hmmmm, will it be bananas? Or green beans? Or should we try some fiber-full peas? Decisions, decisions!!
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Hey -- I just got this response on GL:

<She needs hydration subcues now! You can't syrgine into her the amount of water she needs, about 60 cc's a day. Go for 25-30 cc's of Critical Care a day. Mash up or puree veggies with poops from a healthy pig added to keep her gut flora stabilized. Syringe this mash into her as well. The green stuff is the critical care she drooling out b/c of the malocclusion. If you don't force feed her she will continue to lose weight.>

What do you think about that?
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 10:43 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I wouldn't doubt it. That's why I kept pushing subcutaneous fluids before. It really helped save Elvis. If you pull her fur up off her body and drop it, does it go right back into place?

Stephanie

Tags
pet store