need help with Girl fight - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Angry need help with Girl fight

I just adopted two 4 month old sisters. They are always fighting. One has definitely shown it's dominance but is very malicious. The dominant one will not let the passive one eat or share sleeping quarters. The passive one has some small scabs on her back and butt area as if to suggest that the aggressive one has been biting her. I have already ruled out that they are male and female. Is this normal? The passive one looks miserable and is very timid to people too. Should they be separated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 09:31 AM
Formerly Known as Masterjack

First off, Welcome!

Yes it is very normal for them sort out who is dominant. Have you actually seen blood being drawn? How about mites? Have they been treated for mites? That's the first thing that came to my mind when you metioned scabs on her back and butt area.

Cage size is another factor.

Having two of everything; food dish, water bottles and houses help too.

I wouldn't seperate them yet, unless there is blood drawn. They are just figuring out the pecking order.

I've Been Frosted!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Might or mite?

THanks for your advice. I will definitely look into the mite situation. Should I be able to see the mites? The only problem with your pecking order theory is that they had been living together prior to moving to our home. They are 4 month old sisters. The previous owner warned me that the short hair one tries to "groom" the abyssinian one because the short hair thinks the long hair is unacceptable. I don't know if this is true or not, but I would've thought the pecking order was already established. We have one of those igloo houses and the dominant one takes it over as her own. The passive one will jump on top of the igloo and hang out there. Sometimes the dominant will taunt her while she's up on top of the igloo. It seems very malicious and I don't know if this will get worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterjack
First off, Welcome!

Yes it is very normal for them sort out who is dominant. Have you actually seen blood being drawn? How about mites? Have they been treated for mites? That's the first thing that came to my mind when you metioned scabs on her back and butt area.

Cage size is another factor.

Having two of everything; food dish, water bottles and houses help too.

I wouldn't seperate them yet, unless there is blood drawn. They are just figuring out the pecking order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 06:25 PM
I live in a Pigdom

Whenever a guinea pig is presented into a new situation (moved into new home, new owners) there is a new pecking order that needs to be established. That is most likely what is going on with your girls.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 07:18 AM
Formerly Known as Masterjack

No, you won't be able to see mites, but you can see lice.
Some of the signs are hair loss, scabs, irritable, scratching.

I would like to add that sometimes adolescence plays a part in their pecking order.

Do you have enough room in your cage for another pigloo? cardboard box?

I've Been Frosted!

Tags
cardboard box, guinea pig, hair loss