Need Help - Guinea Pig in horrible condition - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

Need Help - Guinea Pig in horrible condition

Well my neighbors are going to CA for 10 days. They took care of my chins for me for a couple days last week so they asked if we would watch their Guinea Pig. We have one also (and many before) so they know we know how to take care of them. Well I figured they weren't taking 100% good care of this pig. They had another one earlier and they were both VERY fat. Plus I knew that they didn't change their cages once a week.
Also, I knew that the cage had a wire bottom. I figured the poor things feet would be swollen a bit and I planned on letting her run around on our carpet or set up a cage for her. Atleast give her 10 days of the nice life.
This girl is 6 years old fyi. But that's still no reason for these problems.

Ok, so they bring the guinea pig over last night. They bought a new cage with no wire bottom I was very happy. THey gave us food and timothy hay so I was also happy with that.
They said that her feet are a little swollen but normal for her. I figured by that only a little right? Well I pulled her out this morning and felt this lump brush against me. I lift her above my head and this poor things feet are almost the size of teaspoons. IT'S HORRIBLE! So i saw that and my heart broke. I decided to check her over. Both of her right incisors are broken so that the left one is longer than the right. She has sores on her stomach where the back legs touch the stomach and she has scabs on her back. And the way she walks she has to be in pain. But she hardly walks at all.
Good thing I was wearing pants because I was petting her and everytime I touched a tender part (her whole body) she'd try to nip my leg.

My heart has broken over this poor girl. She's not ours to do anything with but I want so bad to put her out of her misery. She's lived 6 years like this. I saw this little guinea pig when she was a baby and I never imagined this would happen to her.

Ok so i need some help guys. we can't really take her to the vet because she isn't ours. I've set up a pen in my room on the soft floor and I put neosporin on her paws. I tell you if she was a normal animal she would have chewed her paws off long ago. She's a real sweetie too.

Is there anything I can do over the counter for her? Would it be wise to file down her teeth? I need some help guys, I don't know what to do. I wish i could put her down so she doesn't have to go through this but she isn't mine.

Anyone?

Alicyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

Also, her pee is almost white and she has diarrhea. Its on my floor in my room

Alicyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 11:10 AM
Adolescent Pup

Oh that is so horrable,geeze all i can suggest is to make her as comfortable as you can for her stay with you.Not sure about the teeth fileing because if she is in such a bad shape like that im sure her gums and stuff are not very healthy either.I would at least tell them that what is happening to her is not normal and not healthy and that she really needs to be seen by a vet. Poor little piggy i hate seeing any animal going through such neglect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 11:52 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I don't know how close you are with the neighbors, but I'd call Animal Control. That condition without veterinary care is considered abuse and they can seize the animal.

Regardless of whether she was mine, I'd take her to the vet. How awful.

Stephanie

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

I wish we could take her to the vet right away but we just spent alot of money for a chin's c-section. We're a little low on money. If we had the money we would. Is there anything you would suggest to make her more comfortable? I mean she has proper food and hay and water. It was just the cage. Though I have no clue how her teeth could have chipped like that. Can you file a guinea pigs teeth without harming them Jade?

Alicyn

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 12:08 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Honestly, I don't know if you could file her teeth. You'd have to ask a qualified exotic vet.

You might try soaking her feet in some epsom salts and water, that might relieve some of the discomfort. If you have any aloe, I'd use that instead of neosporin. Even better would be some Silvadene, but I believe that's a prescription medicine.

If you have a good relationship with your vet, you might call them for suggestions.

Stephanie

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 07:25 PM
I live in a Pigdom

Do you have a camera? Is it bumblefoot? Are there any sores on her feet at all? If so DO NOT pick at them. I took care of Beauty's bumblefoot by using Preparartion H on itand Neosporin, but you have to make sure she doesn't lick it. She came to me in a horrid state, I treat my own mites now.

The teeth are a whole other ball game. That is a vet thing in this house. I have seen other people taking care of their own pigs teeth, but from what I have learned is that if the front teeth are in that condition that means the molars are even worse. That needs a Vet to take care of.

When you have a herd my size you learn how to do preventiative things. That and gleen any information you can to help other things that are not emergencies.

I am going out for my walk and I will be back. If I think of anything else, I will let ya know.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

I haven't picked at them at all. I don't know what bumblefoot is and I guess I should since I am a guinea pig owner but I've never had any problems like this with my guinea pigs. they've all been on solid bottoms.

We will soak her paws in epsom salts when my mom gets home if not then then this weekend. Is there a certain ratio i should use?

So far I have only rubbed neosporin all over her foot.

She doesn't have mites or anything. What do you give GP's for diarrhea (loose)? I know what to give chins but not pigs.

Alicyn

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 08:42 PM
I live in a Pigdom

For diarrhea in this house we go straight to the vet. I don't muck around with that. After they have been treated a poop from a healthy pig made into soup is the best thing for any pig. Helps their gut flora return to normal, however they need to be medicated first to get the bad stuff out. That poor pig

Hope you can help her out.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 12:51 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

That is so terrible. I hope that you can confront your neighbors about it or call Animal Control like Jade said. I wish I had some advice, but the poor piggy will be in my thoughts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!

Last edited by veggiegirl; 06-25-2004 at 12:57 AM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 07:27 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Do you have any updates on the poor piggy?

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 08:09 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I would also call the vet for advice and possibly animal control since that is cruelty and abuse. I know what it's like to take care of someone else's pets that come in bad shape...vet care is needed, I provide it and usually if it's a foster, rescue, or someone's pet I am sitting for, my vet is usually pretty good about giving me a discount

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

We confronted the owners about her health. We are pretty sure they are going to put her down. She IS 6 years old. She was bought for their two daughters and they are now 9 and 10. At this age they don't care for responsibility very much. They hardly give her attention and the parents have put her in the middle of the hallway to get them to give her attention but they never do. They pass her a million times. The mother has ended up taking care of her. So I think they finally realized that they should put her down. They had no clue about bumblefoot or anything... so lets hope she can go to a better place.

Alicyn

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 09:12 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

That's so sad

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

yeah. what's even sadder is my guinea pig died yesterday. And she was spoiled rotten... she was only about 3. I don't see why my guinea pig had to die and I took care of her...but theirs is living till past 6...its just unfair...i don't get it...we have no clue why she died. We noticed she hadn't eaten or drinkin or anything...i was handing out brand new hay cubes and tossed some at her and she didn't stir...life's so unfair...

Alicyn

Tags
animal control, exotic vet, guinea pig, hay cubes, timothy hay, vet care, veterinary care