neutering Olly - need advice - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

neutering Olly - need advice

Hi Everyone -

I'm trying to gather information regarding having Olly neutered, and could use some sound advice.

I have a female guinea pig named Ginger (5-6 months old) & have recently taken in Olly, a 7-8 month old male. He was too much for my sister to handle, as she has very young children & limited time to care for him. She was told he was a female when she bought him, but a recent vet visit confirmed "she" is a "he". I've been keeping them separated for now. He is the sweetest thing! They "talk" to each other all the time. I think he is doing some kind of mating call & funny dance. There is no way I can keep them separated forever, since space is limited. Right now, he is in a large CC cage that I made. She is in a smaller one. I'm concerned about the dangers of neutering and have been questioning local animal shelters. They told me that infection is the greatest danger, but that the 2 pigs would be happier together in the large CC cage.

What experiences have you all had with neutering? Is it worth the risk? I don't want anything to happen to him & love him so much!

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 11:50 PM
Seeker of Orbs

i dunno. that is a good line of questioning! hope something works out.

seems like i read somewhere that it is easier to spay than nueter, but dooont quote me on that.

~beth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
thank you!--->

RIP hagrid. Pheonix! RIP, sweet piggie[/URL]

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 12:43 PM
Part of the Pack

Actually I think it is generally easier and less invasive to neuter than it is to spay. For neutering small pets (like guinea pigs) make sure you seek out a knowledgable and qualified vet to perform the surgery. Ask how many pigs they have neutered in the past and ask if they have ever had any problems. You want a vet with a high success rate. Two pigs are definitely happier together than one, so I would definitely encourage the neuter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 04:33 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I just wanted to say thanks for not putting them together anyway without one of them being fixed... That's shows you're a responsible pet owner. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 08:47 PM
Formerly Known as Masterjack

I've had two boars neutered with a vet that has never did this procedure with guinea pigs. He has treated them for mites and that's about it. I thought about it for a long time and talked about it with him. I decided that I would go with him. The first boar developed an abscess about two months after the neuter. The second guy was just fine. That was almost three years ago. They both live with three girls in seperate cages and are happy boys!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks for all the advice. Yes, I'm trying to be responsible about this. Thankfully, I didn't put them together just in case Olly turned out to be a male! I haven't fully discussed it with my vet yet - but feel confident that she will be successful with the surgery. Her office, and group of doctors, are at an animal hospital that handles all exotics. They also take care of all the animals in a local zoo. And, they were ranked #1 animal hospital in the area a few years ago.

I will ask the vet the questions you suggested. FYI - A guinea pig expert from a local animal shelter also suggested I increase Olly's fruit & vegetables for a week before surgery to beef up his vitamin C intake. She said it will help fight off infections after surgery. Thought that was a good tip.

thank you all!

Tags
animal hospital, animal shelter, animal shelters, guinea pig, local animal shelter, pet owner, responsible pet owner, seperate cages, vet visit