new bedding - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
User Is No Longer Welcome

new bedding

anyone use bedding that doesnt attract bugs? i've used corn cob and cedar chips and after maybe not even 5 days, there are these little nats... its not like they're cages never get clean, i mean, at least once a week but i still get these stupid little bugs.. any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 09:19 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You might try a recycled paper bedding. I've never had a problem with Aspen bedding itself, which is what I use for my chins.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 10:30 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

I agree with Jade.

I use Pets Preference bedding for my chinchillas. It's a recycled newspaper litter. It not only absorbs well, but it's not as dusty as some of the other beddings out there. I suggested it to a customer today who is going to purchase a chinchilla.

I know if ingested in small quantities, it will not harm your pet, unlike some of the other beddings out there.

Karen

[

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 05:12 PM
Playful Pup

yup yup, recycled paper is good to use. At Walmart you can find the grey looking recycled paper all packed up (sold as pet bedding). The dustyness of pine or aspen gives pigs resperatory problems.

GoOmiEz

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 06:13 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Usually cedar and corn cob beddings aren't recommended for animals...especially cedar! (the cedar oils can cause serious respiratory problems in small animals and when my fiance bought some for the welping box for a litter of puppies we had, half the puppies swelled up with an allergy to them)
I use Aspen for my rabbits as recycled newspaper beddings stink way too quickly. I just switched to Kiln Dried Pine shavings for my chins as it's safe, not smelly if changed weekly and much less expensive. Personally I would recommend Aspen or Kiln Dried Pine. There is also a product called WoodyPet that is made for horses and small animals that I've heard works really well for GPs...It's about $5 for a large bale and it's super absorbant, not dusty and locks in odors. You can check it out and find a dealer near you at www.woodypet.com

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 08:10 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I have a HUGE problem with gnats in my apartment. I use kiln dried pine for my chinnies and they've never been attracted to it. The chin food--yes but their bedding--no. I don't know if your gnats in Michigan are the same as mine down here but you might give it a try. I used to use the gray paper stuff from Walmart (made by the same people as carefresh) but switched to pine cause it's soooooo much cheaper! I did like the stuff from Walmart too, though.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 08:15 AM
I live in a Pigdom

It is also a seasonal thing. I get them here every fall, I just keep diligent about cleanig up after the pigs and all is well. I use kiln dried pine at my house because of cost.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 06:52 PM
Formerly known as Lvnmycritters

I also use pine for my girls. I have tried all the other beddings and I prefer the pine. I've never had issues with bugs. The corn cob cedar thing can work id you remove the used corncob daily and replace it.
Althought I don't use it for my cavies because my cages have always been too big for corncob bedding to be cost effective, I have seen it used with great success in small manufactured cages. The key to sucess there is to clean the corn cob bedding daily and the whole cage weekly.

Aspen is a great alternative although I don't care for the smell of it personally.

The best option is to change the cage more often to keep the bugs at bay. You and the cavies will be happier for it.

Tags
corn cob, corn cob bedding, dried pine, dried pine shavings, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, pine shavings