new guinea pig - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

new guinea pig

I just got a new Guinea pig. i attached some pictures, his name is Junior. So i have some questions now.

I have some pine shaving bedding from when i had my hamster, can i use that in Junior's cage?

So my dog usally sleeps in my room, he has slept in my room since the first night we had him. Expert when i was not home because he would go after my hamster, he would sniff at the cage and start pushing it with his nose, but after a little while he would go lay down. He is doing the same thing with Junior, he starts sniffing but if he sees Junior move he goes crazy. So my plan is, Fluff (my dog) is going to sleep out in the living room til sat. On sat. i will bring him into my room and let him sniff for a min then see if he will go lay down, like he did my hamster. Has anyone had this problem with they dog? any advice would be great. thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0683.jpg (79.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0685.jpg (77.0 KB, 4 views)

My Family
Fluff (Black lab, Cocker Spaniel, Dachshund mix)
Jete (American Shorthair)
Gordan (Chinese Dwarf Hamster) RIP 6-24-09

My Other family
Missy (Cocker Spaniel)
Fluff (Longhair cat)
Happy (Yellow Lab)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 12:33 PM
is a little "special"

Aww, congrats on your new pigger! Hes a lil cutie :]
Acually, you should not use pine shavings. The Phenols in pine are toxic, and can cause liver damage in small animals. Aspen shavings, or paper-based bedding like Carefresh would be a much better option, because they have no toxins.
My dog is terrified of guinea pigs, so sorry, but I cant give you any advice there! But maybe it would help if you kept your guinea pig elevated somewhere, like on a table or on your dresser where your dog cant see/reach him?
Oh, and you might want to eventually adopt another guinea pig, because they are very social little guys who are much happier in pairs!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

thanks

Thank you for the info on the bedding. I also have aspen bedding, i bought two bags of aspen bedding just before my hamster died and i still have 1 1/2 bags of it left. so this way i can use it up. i also have the pine bedding, but i will give it to my godmother and she can find something to do with it. she raises rats, and her boyfriend works at the petsmart here in plattsburgh NY. i do have the guinea pig cage on a dresser, and even if my dog stands on his back legs, he can just barly see over the edge of the cage. but i'm hoping he will just sniff and then leave it alone and go lay down like he did with my hamster. i think the only reason he is being like this is because he is black lab, cocker spaniel (i think he is really brittany spaniel), and dachshund mix. dachshund were breed to go after field rats and mice and the cocker and lab were breed to hunt rabbits and other rodents i think. so maybe its because of his breeds? i really hope he just leaves it be, like he did with my hamster. he has always sleep in my room for the past 3 years now, i don't want to have to make him sleep in the living room because of this. but i also really really don't want him to hurt Junior. to my surpise my cat doesn't care at all, i think she might even be afraid. is there anyone who has had problems with they dogs and rodents?

My Family
Fluff (Black lab, Cocker Spaniel, Dachshund mix)
Jete (American Shorthair)
Gordan (Chinese Dwarf Hamster) RIP 6-24-09

My Other family
Missy (Cocker Spaniel)
Fluff (Longhair cat)
Happy (Yellow Lab)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I'm sorry about your hammie, but congrats on your piggie. So cute!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Adolescent Pup

pine bedding is toxic for pretty much ALL rodents, rats included, it could KILL them. and congrats on the guinea pig. its hard for an adult dog to become good with other pets that he hasnt been around as a puppy. so dogs that werent raised from puppy hood with cats while young will generally always bark at/chase cats for the first while. the best way i found to get them used to them is just to keep the cage high enough off the ground so he cant push at it and if he barks at it tell him no. and when he watches and doesnt freak out praise lots and give treats

Tags
bedding, dogs, guinea pig