New to guinea pigs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

New to guinea pigs

Hi all

I am in the process of bribing, blackmailing, moaning and manipulating my partner into allowing my girls to bring a baby guinea pig home. At this stage he is silent so that is a step forward from an outright no.... the babies will be ready in 4 more weeks and i anticipate he will have either said yes, or be in a mental institution from the sheer stress of hearing me go on about it every day for the next four weeks

Soooooo.... what do i need to know? what is a good, cheap cage set up?? i dont really want to pay 100 bucks for the things in teh pet shop, they seem so small. Do i have to get a friend for the guinea pig?? can they be let out to roam around the garden (under your watchful eye) will they get along with a little dog?? could they even live with the dog?? do they need needles?? i have owned rats so is it anything like owning a rat, seeing as they are all rodents? can they live on the grass with a cage set up or do they need a floor??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

ok.. so scratch the 'live with the dog' idea... i guess that would be utterly ridiculous given that the guinea pig is so small even compared to a little dog, unless of course it was a chiauh hua, which this isnt.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 08:34 PM
Seeker of Orbs

we made a C&C cage with a loft for hagrid, for about.....13 for the corapllast and 20 for the squares from target....those are really the best cages for them....cavycages.com has all the info, including some great first timer tips!

if you do get one- get a lixit water bottle. they don't leak!

~beth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
thank you!--->

RIP hagrid. Pheonix! RIP, sweet piggie[/URL]

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks for that not sure what a lixit bottle is or a c&c though. But will go check out that website.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 10:30 PM
Formerly known as Lucy_Madden

cavycages.com is a very good site for cages!

My pets:

2 yorkshires (Ankh and Amy)
4 rats (Aaron, Thor, Lee)
1 hamster (Panda)
13 Guinea piggies
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 06:10 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Cavy cages has some good cage set ups so lots of inspiration for you. Guinea pigs definately need a little friend in my opinion especially one of their own kind so not a dog or a rabbit. Although some people keep them with rabbits i don't think its entirely safe as rabbits are totally different creatures and have different nutrional requirements and also have huge back legs that can kick very hard and seriously injure a little piggy so another friend of its own kind is always best. Either get two girls or two boys (the boys are best off from the same litter although can be introduced sucessfully at a later stage). They aren't like rats at all for a start they aren't agile they bumble along the floor and about as far as they can climb is up a stair or two although they do have a turn of speed when they want, they also communicate with vocal noises to you and each other and they also need cleaning out more frequently than a rat as they make a lot more mess. They also have a totally different diet as they don't synthesize their own vitamin c so they need it added into their diet by giving them lots of fresh fruit and veggies such as brocolli, carrots, peppers, oranges etc.... as well as a well balanced dried food. You could let them have some free access to your garden but in my opinion i think its much safer for them to be in a pen so nothing can get at them and they are confined to one area, as for the cage set up you could give them access to grass all the while but i don't think it would last for long as they are greedy and would most probably eat it all within a few days if mine are anything to go by. The cage also should be positioned in a dry draught free place and should be kept indoors in winter as guinea pigs can't tolerate the cold. Goodluck if you get some and keep us informed as they make great pets

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 10:12 PM
Seeker of Orbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepainter
not sure what a lixit bottle is or a c&c though. But will go check out that website.

a lixit bottle is just a nice bottle that doesn't leak...so many of us hampster/ piggie people have been plagued by leaking bottles...yuck.

~beth

thank you!--->

RIP hagrid. Pheonix! RIP, sweet piggie[/URL]

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 04:46 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

C & C cages are great... They cost the same amount (or a little cheaper) than the ones at the pet store that are way too small... I agree with everyone else- you do need to have at least two, either two males or two females. They need unlimited timothy hay, along with pellets that have Vitamin C, and fruits and veggies... Check out www.guinealynx.com . They have all kinds of guinea info, along with a chart of the nutritional breakdown of virtually all fruits and veggies you can think of. And Lixit waterbottles are great. I have two for my pigs and one for my ferrets. (Lixit is a brand by the way) Guinea pigs need to be inside for the most part, only being allowed outside (in a pen) for a little while several times a week. I think I was told that anything above 75 degrees or below 45 degrees will kill a pig. Make sure that they're in an area where pesticides haven't been used. Another thing to keep an eye on is their teeth. If they get too long, it causes problems... They could stop eating from the pain and die. The timothy hay helps to keep them grinded down. They need to have their nails trimmed regularly as well. Also, they can't use wheels or balls. It hurts their backs. Have a knowledgable guinea pig vet picked out before you get them, and then take them to see the vet as soon as you get them to make sure that they are healthy and parasite-free. What are you talking about when you asked if they need needles?

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur

Tags
guinea pig, pet shop, pet store, timothy hay