new to guinea pigs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

new to guinea pigs

Hello everyone.

I am a new mommy to a female guinia pig named Rosalina, Rose for short. I actually bought her for my 9 year old son after his rat died several weeks ago. We went to the petsmart looking for a new pet because my son was really heart broken over his rat that died of old age. I was thinking a hampster, but we fell in love with the guinea pig that was there. Well since I had a big cage already I thought why not, but I have no experience with guinea pigs. She is very shy, and jumps around alot, and hides when ever I go near her, and she loves to talk to get my attention when she runs out of timothy hay. I was wondering how much is too much timothy hay, I bought her guinea pig food, but all she wants it the hay, and gets very loud if I dont give it to her. Also what are good wys to get her to trust me?? thank you.

-pollybug

Pollybug25's pets-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rosie, Snowball, Princess, Boggart, and Taco

Ginger, chihuahua/mix

Brownie, Shihtzu

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

There's no such thing as too much timothy hay, she should have it at all times . Fresh vegetables are another important part of a guinea pig diet so make sure to feed her some.

Guinea pigs are actually rather social animals and do best when kept in pairs or groups. I'd highly recommend getting her a same-sex friend for that reason (it may also help with her shyness as single guinea pigs tend to be more nervous).

It's normal for them to be really shy at first, just give it some time. Don't pick her up right away, let her come to you and bribe her with treats.

Instead of going on and on about guinea pig care, I figured I'd just give you this very helpful link: http://www.guinealynx.com. It's a great website.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Rodentologist

I would also say that if you had a "big cage" for a rat, it's probably not big enough for piggies, they need a lot more running room than rats.

Guinealynx and GuineaPigCages.Com are your best resources!

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 10:43 PM
Playful Pup

My guinea pig had the same promblem all she wanted was hay and thats not healthy for them to just eat hay. they need like the normal pellet stuff and hay not just hay. Its like a child that wont eat what they need to. So what I did was gave her hay at a certain time and after that time if she sqreaked I would egnor her so she dosent get her way and it makes her eat her pellet food that was in her cage. its just like a kid it will take a long time for them to get to eatting the pellets but they will finally learn that hay is at this time and im hungry after i better eat my pellets then. Trust me it wont be easy I had to work with my guinea pig for allmost a month but it eventually worked and shes eatting pellet food and hay.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 01:53 AM
Rodentologist

It is perfectly fine to eat just hay as long as they're also receiving vegetables. We've had many guinea pigs do just that (it's a very typical diet for guinea pigs with chronic conditions). We've got many guinea pigs that are now over 10 years of age. Eating a diet primarily of hay does not cause problems.

A guinea pig's diet should be primarily hay, and then vegetables, and pellets should be the smallest available part. Too many pellets cause a variety of problems including obesity and bladder stones. They should be limited in adult pigs.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 12:37 PM
is a little "special"

Yeah, what Jennicat said.
You can never give your guinea pigs too much hay. They need all the fiber from it, and eating hay wears down molars and keeps their teeth from getting ever grown. Mine hardly even touch their pellets.
Piggers LOVE their veggies too! Mine get a couple leaves of romain lettuce, parsley, and a tiny chunk of carrot every night. Parsley is especially good for them because of the Vitamin C.
And I would definatly look into getting her a buddy! When I first adopted my guinea pig, Sunny, she was incredibly shy. But once we bonded her to our other pig, her personality really came out! She still isnt exactly outgoing, but she stands up a squeels for veggies with our other pigger, so its a big step
Good luck with your little Rose!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:32 AM
Playful Pup

Thanks I didnt know that about the pellets. I freaked out the time she didnt eat her pellets cause I didnt think living on just hay was good for them. But she loves me and I love her we have a great bond. No wonder she got that bladder infection one time maybe she was eatting too many pellets. Thanks for the info but i still would like my guinea pig to eat some of the pellets.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 05:57 AM
Rodentologist

Some pellets are not a big deal. Generally I feed all of my adult pigs between 1/8th of a cup and 1/4 of a cup of pellets every day unless they have a chronic condition like bladder sludge that I'm monitoring. They get unlimited hay and a great big pile of veggies every day! In the wild, they would spend most of their day munching on grass and greenery, their systems are designed for that.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 11:37 PM
Playful Pup

thanks

allright thanks, Take care of your little piggies Take care. I dont have time to give her veggies every day. She gets carrots though and hay and pellets.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauri View Post
allright thanks, Take care of your little piggies Take care. I dont have time to give her veggies every day. She gets carrots though and hay and pellets.
If you don't have time then maybe this isn't the right pet for you. Your guinea shouldn't have less of what he needs/wants because you don't have time.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 01:00 AM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeguLover2009 View Post
If you don't have time then maybe this isn't the right pet for you. Your guinea shouldn't have less of what he needs/wants because you don't have time.
I total agree....I have 2 guineas and I feed my girls veggie at least 2 to 3 times a day...It takes longer for me to drive and get the veggies..I really mean how long can it take to clean lettuce, or wash cuccumbers...etc...If you don't have time to give them veggie every day how much attention do you give them? How many time do they have free time out of their cage? ....My girls lay with me every night for about an hour...and once to twice a week they have free time outside if it's not to hot or raining during the summer...oh and many many kiss during the day...

Adopt a Rodent from a rescue places instead of buying one at a pet store!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 05:50 AM
Rodentologist

Ditto, just the carrots are not good enough. Your pigs can get sick from not getting vegetables -- they can't make Vitamin C on their own. Like people, they'll develop scurvy.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:08 AM
Playful Pup

not have time?? your 16 correct?? It only takes 5 minutes to cut up veggies and put them in a baggie....each day go to the fridge and get a few out....I do it everyday and I hold a full time job. I wake up, Feed the girls...come home...Feed the girls....then after i have my dinner I get both of them out and hold them, cuddle, let them run about...they need attention...they aren't a novelty...they are Alive, they need the correct food, care, attention.

PiggieSlave

Abby--> 2 mo's
Molly--> 3 mo's
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauri View Post
She gets...Are you telling me you have only 1.....I know someone that has a rescue for guineas...She has 20 and she works....She has makes time to feed them all.

Adopt a Rodent from a rescue places instead of buying one at a pet store!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 08:39 PM
is a little "special"

Seriously, thats an aweful excuse for not giving your pigs veggies. It takes me about 2 mins to do veggies for my rabbit and guinea pigs...

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Tags
guinea pig timothy hay