New Here, Thinking of getting Piggy, all Info - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

New Here, Thinking of getting Piggy, all Info

Hello Everyone, I am long time lover of piggy's, just never had my own, but always loved the way they look, and how sweet they seem, I have done alot of research on them, for months now,. I take owning a pet very serious, and me and my husband do not have children so of course we will love him/her like children LOL, There just seems to be so much mixed info on them, bath, no bath, sometimes they smell, and no smell, it's better to have female, rather then male.. I would just like to know from you guys, your opinon's, also how large they get seems to be unclear, what do you think? any info would be helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Part of the Pack

I am no expert on piggies, to be clear, but its awesome to hear you have done your research. I have heard that bathing can help keep skin and coat in good condition, but also that bathing too much can lead to dry skin. I think your best bet is to get to know your piggy, and see what works best for him or her. I just googled some stuff on cavies, and it says that the average weight ranges from about 1 pound to 3.3 pounds. Most of what Ive seen have been about 1.5 pounds, if that.

Apparantly, guinea pigs can be litter trained. I'm sure if you cleaned regularly and if the pigger was trained, they wouldn't be too smelly. I think that applies to any animal.

That was just a collaberation of what i know and what I found on the internet, but I hope you find it helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

give your love no matter what.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 05:20 AM
Rodentologist

Check out the following sites for the best information I've found:

http://www.guinealynx.info
http://www.guineapigcages.com
http://www.cavyspirit.com

You can bathe them, though it's not often neccesarily unless your piggie has really long hair and you don't trim it. My short haired guys get maybe one bath a year. They typically don't smell unless their cages are too small or they're not being cleaned frequently enough. Male vs. Female --- it really just depends on the pig, they're all different. They tend to weigh around 2 lbs, though giant pigs may reach up to 3lbs, and tiny pigs may be slighly less.

Make sure you adopt a pair, as they are extremely social creatures, and make sure they're same sex so you don't have a ton more guinea pigs. Check local rescues first, as there are many guinea pigs in rescue.

They can't often be litter trained, although a few have figured it out, so I wouldn't could on that in terms of smell reducing.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Wow Thank You so much for all the info, I was also wondering about 2 things which i cant seem to find a straight forward answer too, seizers why do they have them and can i prevent it? and cigarette smoke, Iam a smoker, and I would be willing to smoke outside, can the smoke give them problems? since they have such a sensitive respiratory system?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Rodentologist

Seizures are caused by parasites. When they're inhfested with mange mites, they will often seizure from pain. As far as the smoking, I would at least smoke outside of the room they're in, but outside altogether is preferable.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 05:33 AM
Playful Pup

I have two girls who are sisters and one is a large agouti and the other is a smaller black and white one. They are totally different in character but love each other just the same. They do bicker like sisters do and, because I handle them a lot, they are really tame. I don't bath them and they don't smell. You do need to clean their cage/hutch regularly because they do pee a lot and poo like there's no tomorrow! I line the bottom of their indoor cage with paper and spread straw on it. I do this because straw, rather than hay, lets the moisture through and stays fairly dry itself. The hay just absorbs it and smells more. They get a large chunk of hay every day so they're not complaining. I feed Guinea Excel and they love this. Although pellets seem more expensive at first glance, they are better value because the piggies eat them all. Mine were very selective with their other general food and left most of it after eating what they wanted. They get carrots and greens every day and an apple sometimes. You will find your own way with your piggies and, as long as you keep handling them, they will totally love you to bits!!

Tags
guinea pig