New Pig Health Problems :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

New Pig Health Problems :(

Hi everyone,

I recently got two new piggies who had been horribly neglected. Their cage was awful - it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months and it smelled terrible. Green algae was growing inside their water bottle (a lot of it too...the entire bottom inside was covered with the stuff) and I don't think they were fed on a regular basis. They are SO hungry - gobble up anything I give them. Jellybean and Misty are spoiled little pigs now. They get plenty of fresh fruits and veggies every night and lots of timothy hay and pellets. Jellybean is friendly and will allow me to pet her and pick her up but Misty is extremely skittish and runs when I try to pet her.

Jellybean seems to have some kind of skin infection. She's an Abyssinian and has 2 rosettes on her rump. A lot of fur appears to be missing from the middle of the rosettes, and the skin there is dry and rough to the touch...almost appears to be peeling a little.

Please help!!

~Stacie~
Taffy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mouse
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Snuggles

Herbie

Pogo

Pickles & Peanut

Pineapple, Dingleberry, Pinchy, Meanie, Speedy & Pokey (hermit crabs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 01:40 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

It sounds like it may be ringworm or another skin issue (mites, etc.). I'd have her seen by a vet to check for the ringworm or see what the vet thinks.

You might add some acidophilus to their diet for a few days to help their GI tracts recover from all the bad bacteria that had to be in that water. You can get it at most drugstores in the vitamin section; I know Walgreens has it in capsules that you can break open and sprinkle over their food. It's a probiotic and won't hurt, at the least.

Good luck with them! Give them scratches for me.

Stephanie

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 05:44 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Sounds with those symptoms like it could be a case of mange to me as guinea pigs are prone to it especially if they have gone through a period of stress which yours obviously have before you got them. I'd definately get them both checked out at the vets as if it is mange or any other skin disorder its going to need treating before it gets any worse so i'd get them checked out as soon as possible to be on the safe side. Please keep us informed how the little piggies are doing and goodluck

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 12:56 PM
Part of the Pack

Yes please keep us posted! Bless you for taking them in!

Tags
guinea pig, timothy hay