new piggie - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

new piggie

I was at the pet store yesterday to pick up a few things and fell in love with a little black guinea pig. Hes a sweet guy. Anyways, is it normal for them to poop alot when you hold them, or is it because he's not used to me? He's pretty young and still has a little black dot on his belly button. He eats well, though. I'm also curious about his fur. All the pics of short hair pigs I see on the net have straight fur. His fur is about the length of my finger and has a little bit of wave to it. Is this normal? Maybe he's a cross breed? He makes ALOT of noise too. If he gets off on his own he does that really loud squealing sound. Is it because he's scared? When I hold him, he makes a quiet squeaking sound and an almost grunty sound. I named him Sullivan. It's a Gaelic name meaning "black eyes". I'll post pics soon.

Because I was born in the South, I'm a Southerner. If I had been born in the North, the West or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being.
Clyde Edgerton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 09:13 AM
I live in a Pigdom

Guinea pigs are prolific poopers so that sounds quite normal. Does he have a cagemate? If not I suggest him getting one, guinea pigs are much happier in pairs than being a single.

His hair sounds interesting but it is hard to say when I can't see him. Good luck!

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 09:52 AM
Formerly known as Lucy_Madden

Good luck with the little guy

My pets:

2 yorkshires (Ankh and Amy)
4 rats (Aaron, Thor, Lee)
1 hamster (Panda)
13 Guinea piggies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 10:43 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4piggers
Guinea pigs are prolific poopers so that sounds quite normal. Does he have a cagemate? If not I suggest him getting one, guinea pigs are much happier in pairs than being a single.
His hair sounds interesting but it is hard to say when I can't see him. Good luck!
I very much agree with the above As for the noises well piggies are very vocal as i'm sure you will have found out by now The loud squealing sound is probably because he's in new surroundings and has been startled by something which has scared him. The quiet squeaking noise you mentioned is probably the noise that they make when they are happy and content they tend to coo a lot when they are happy. Goodluck with him and may you have many happy years together

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 05:42 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Congrats on your new piggie, look forward to seeing some pics!

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 11:50 AM

We have 2 guinea pigs Pepper and Cali. I have found that my piggies squeek loudly is when they are begging for some food. Try giving them carrots. Our piggies just love them. When you make noise with a plasic bag for example they make alot of noise. I have found that they also squeek alot when my wife and I get out of bed. They are like saying "GOOD MORNING YOU TWO!"

We are going to buy 2 more guinea pigs males this time. Names are going to Oscar and Mugsy later on this year on early next. Will post pics when I get a scanner.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 08:53 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Mine do not poop or pee on me when I hold them. But one seems to hold a few days' worth of poop for the floor when I let him run around! Dozens of poops appear.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks for all the info, yall. I went back to the petstore, cause I felt bad for leaving his brother there by himself and got him too. He's black with white on his face. His fur is different and he feels a little fatter and is a little bigger than Sullivan. My friend Cory named him Milton, which is cool cause it's my GGrandpa's name. So now I have Milton and Sullivan. They are so cute. They get to playing and running around the cage and they do little kicks and jumps and shake their heads. It's PRECIOUS!!! Will boys fight when they are older, even if they are littermates and raised together? I read this on a couple of websites, and I'm worried. What's the best guinea pig food? I bought L&M food cause it's all they had at the petstore. Its made with alfalfa, which I've read can cause problems. I found some made with timothy hay at another petstore, but I'm gonna use up the other food first before I buy it. How can I supplement their diet with Vit C? I've read some things on the net, but would rather have feedback from people on here who own guinea pigs, because I trust yall more. I'm supplying them with fresh timothy hay. Any input will be greatly appreciated. I'll try to put pics up of them sometime today. Thanks in advance.

Because I was born in the South, I'm a Southerner. If I had been born in the North, the West or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being.
Clyde Edgerton

Tags
guinea pig, guinea pig food, pet store, pig food, timothy hay