New piggy, Kakuro! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

New piggy, Kakuro!

Well, I'm now proudly owned by a new piggy, named Kakuro. He's quite small, has a rosette on the top of his head, and is black and white. I believe he's a boy. He's very adorable and likes being cuddled and loves cucumbers. So, what are some things I should get him? I already bought him the necessities, but what are some extras? What kind of veggies should I feed him? When should I get his nails trimmed, and how often? What about baths? And vet check ups? I've heard some rumors about leashes. What say you? And what kinda pig is he? He has only one rosette.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats on the new piggie!

I've never had one before and I don't know much about them, so I can't really help you out - but I'm sure someone who can will post soon

And you should post pics! He sounds really cute.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I'll try. I have to find batteries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 12:06 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Aww, congrats!

I would check out Guinea Lynx :: A Medical and Care Guide for Your Guinea Pig . They have a list of good vegetables to feed plus other great information. Oh, and you may want to consider getting Kakuro a friend since guinea pigs are highly social animals .

Leashes are supposed to be bad for guinea pigs as they can hurt their spines. Instead I would use an exercise pen for outdoor play.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Definitely sounds like a better idea than leashes. I'll probably be getting another piggy, but I spend most of my time at home and I'll likely have him out a lot of the time.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 06:19 AM
Adolescent Pup

Aww he's a Crested! I love Cresteds! When they have one 'rosette' on their head it is called a Crest - confusing really because when they have more than one they are called Rosettes! I love his name - I always go for more unusual names!

Piggies love grass and dandelions. Do you have a run which he can munch grass in? Also, are you going to get another piggy? They are herd animals so need to live with at least one other piggy. They will be less timid and won't get bored if they have a cagemate! They love having time to run around on the floor aswell.

My guinea pigs love carrots, cabbage, celery, apples, grapes, cucumber, melon and strawberries.

Trimming nails is easy when you get used to it but is tricky when you are a beginner. Does he have clear nails or black? Clear is easier because you can see where not to cut (because their is skin in their nails which will bleed if cut).

Guinealynx (Sasami provided the link) has a section about claw clipping that you should read.

It is only necessary to bath when they have lice or are dirty. Too many baths dry out the skin. I'd say no more baths than every 2 months.

Mine never get vet check-ups but I have had guinea pigs long enough to know when they have lice or when they are showing signs of illness.

Leashes, exercise balls/wheels are a big NO! They are bad for their backs (like someone else stated).

Congrats on Kakura!

Slave to:

1 Dalmatian dog

4 gorgeous guinea pigs

1 cute chameleon

2 cheeky chickens
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 09:08 AM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Please read over these links.

Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home
Guinea Lynx :: A Medical and Care Guide for Your Guinea Pig
Guinea Pig Education, Care, Rescue and Adoption at Cavy Spirit

So, what are some things I should get him? A large cage and a friend. Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home for cage ideas.

I already bought him the necessities, but what are some extras? What did you get him already?

What kind of veggies should I feed him? Read this linkGuinea Lynx :: Diet

When should I get his nails trimmed, and how often?Guinea Lynx :: Nail Clipping

What about baths? Guinea pigs do not need baths very often. Maybe once a year. I have only bathed my pigs twice in almost 3 years. That was for a buddy bath though, not because they were unclean.

And vet check ups? If you got your pig from a petstore, you should take him for a vet check asap. Store bought pigs can come with a variety of illnesses including, URI and Mites. Best to get him checked out right away.

I've heard some rumors about leashes. What say you? Guinea pigs should not have wheels, running balls, or leashes. They can cause serious injury.

And what kinda pig is he? He has only one rosette. Do you have a picture? Are you sure its a male? A lot of times stores missex their pigs. I definitely get a second and third opinion before you decide to get him/her a friend.

Last edited by Ambieruns10; 06-03-2007 at 09:10 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

The pet store didn't sex him, I went to Guinea Lynx and to their sexing page and it was obvious that he was a male. The pet store never sexes animals, unless maybe cats and dogs, but if you ask about it they'll probably lead you through it. I didn't ask. I bought him a huge cage, it's about 10 square meters for him, carefresh bedding, heavy bowls, water bottle, some chew blocks, some good guinea pig pellets, lots of fruits and vegetables, timothy hay and a mineral and salt block. The pet store told me they should have a mineral and salt block. They also told me to get extra vitamins for the water, but I've read too much about that being a bad idea. I have a pretty big backyard with lots of unsprayed grass, and I also have time to take him out daily and supervise him, if need be buy a run of some sort. I plan to get him a friend, but will do so making sure I get a male, if he is indeed male, which I believe he is, I've had guinea pigs before and he basically looks like a less mature male, an i instead of a y, prominently. I'll get a picture as soon as I get some batteries.

I'm also planning to get him vet checked ASAP just in case.

PS: his toenails vary from white to black, some in the back are black. How would you cut black nails...? Just more carefully, maybe doing the clear nails first to get an idea? Or could you hold a light up to them or something?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Loopy AppleNose

Congratulations, sounds very cute.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. (1 Corinthians 13:4)

Currently reading: Light in August by William Faulkner
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 05:37 AM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keppeh
The pet store didn't sex him, I went to Guinea Lynx and to their sexing page and it was obvious that he was a male. The pet store never sexes animals, unless maybe cats and dogs, but if you ask about it they'll probably lead you through it. I didn't ask. I bought him a huge cage, it's about 10 square meters for him, carefresh bedding, heavy bowls, water bottle, some chew blocks, some good guinea pig pellets, lots of fruits and vegetables, timothy hay and a mineral and salt block. The pet store told me they should have a mineral and salt block. They also told me to get extra vitamins for the water, but I've read too much about that being a bad idea. I have a pretty big backyard with lots of unsprayed grass, and I also have time to take him out daily and supervise him, if need be buy a run of some sort. I plan to get him a friend, but will do so making sure I get a male, if he is indeed male, which I believe he is, I've had guinea pigs before and he basically looks like a less mature male, an i instead of a y, prominently. I'll get a picture as soon as I get some batteries.
Err, is the 10 square meters a typo? If I converted correctly, that cage is over 100 square feet! It'd be a great size for him, but it is bigger than our kitchen or living room :-P
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 09:58 AM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Quote:
The pet store told me they should have a mineral and salt block. They also told me to get extra vitamins for the water, but I've read too much about that being a bad idea.
They do not need mineral or salt blocks. You should take those out asap. Also, do not add vitamins to their water.

Read this link! Guinea Lynx :: Diet
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

a hundred square feet is not that big, its basically a ten ft by ten ft

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Rodentologist

I've got an entire room of pig cages, and it totals out to be 32 square feet. So yeah, 100 square feet is a pretty big pig cage. (That's 2 2x6 C&C cages). Considering a 7 square foot cage here is around $100, one could surmise that a 100 square foot cage would probably cost $900 or so
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

It's been almost a year since I wrote about Kakuro (his name is now Ludwig, I changed it a few days later) but yeah, definitely a typo. I don't know what size it is anymore, it said something on the box but I've lost that box. I'm sure it wasn't 10 square feet x 10 square feet. It's about the length of both of my arms and the width of one and a half or so. It's got a few levels and lots of hay and playthings.

He's doing good, loves his veggies.

Tags
carefresh bedding, guinea lynx, guinea pig, guinea pig cage, guinea pig cages, guinea pig education, guinea pig pellets, pet store, pig cages, social animals, timothy hay