New Skinny Pig!! :) (I have questions) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question New Skinny Pig!! :) (I have questions)

I'm so excited.......
Today, this afternoon I got my dream pet- a skinny pig! His body is a greyish black, and one part of his head is jet black (along with his ear). He has big brown eyes and he has bright orange fur on the top and bottom of his muzzle. I called him Ed. He's so cute! There are many more details, but I won't go into them. Anyway. my questions-

I was told he was a male. Are "bumps" near his hind quarters normal? Not little bumps, big bumps... they're "connected". I don't know what to call them.... I don't think he's sick. Can someone help me on that one? And then- on the outside corners of his one of his ears there's a bit of dead white skin and a few little scabs. I'm going to wipe with a warm wet wash cloth. Should I do anything else? Thanks!

Last edited by Skinnie Pig; 07-16-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Rodentologist

Bumps near his hindquarters are not normal. I would recommend getting him to the vet to get them checked out. Skinny pigs are prone to a variety of problems including a variety of cancers, so I would make sure to get him to the vet ASAP whenever you suspect there to be a problem. If he's living with a guinea pig, these may also be "war wounds" if they're in a cage which is too small. Although guinea pigs are highly social and should be kept in groups, in too small of a territory they will become territorial. Most people recommend keeping a skinny pig with a haired pig because they often have a difficult time regulating temperatures and can snuggle with their friend to maintain warmth.

The scabs also sound suspiciously like mites?

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Tags
skinny pig