Normal? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Normal?

Ok i just got nibbles 2 days ago... so i dont know him well yet. but when i take him out he just sits on me.. he makes soft squeeky noises when i itch him and brush him and makes chewy faces like my rat does when shes happy so i think hes happy?

he was on my lap for a while.. 20 mins maybe.. and i put him down on the couch and he peed. and earlier i was holding him for a half hour or so and then when i picked him up to put him away as i was carrying him he peed... is it because hes scared? or just had to pee? will he be able to hold it until he gets back in his cage when hes older? do piggies normally do that? am i holding him wrong? i have one hand under his little rear and one under his tummy or i have him agenst my stumach and have one under his little rear. could i be pushing on his bladder and making him go?

i want him to be able to run all over my bedroom when hes tamer and know he wont pee all over...

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I dont think he is scared....they ususally will pee like after 15 min or so when you got them out. Sometimes they will make squeaky noises when they need to pee and want to go back to their house. They like to pee in their cage and will try to hold it usually cuz they are more comfortable to do it there but have no choice if they are out a long time.
But it is also common for them to make little squeaky noises when you hold them and pet them. Just talk to him quietly and reassuringly. He is getting used to you like you are getting used to him He is happy and just vocalizing with you that he is feeling good. Sounds like you are holding him just fine.
It will take a while to know your piggie and all the different sounds they make and what they mean.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 11:40 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Here are a few links about diff sounds they make. Not all piggies are the same though,,keep that in mind. You will come to know your piggie and what he is trying to tell you soon enough.

Guinea Pig Sounds

Guinea Pig Information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

hehe he makes little happy squeekies when i itch his backend. i was combing him and he seamed to like that... ok so i had him out alot longer than 15 mins.. i will remember to put him back after that and let him go and take him back out hehe.

my rats used to make it a half hour pretty well... and now they can go in and out of their cage.. but hes not allowed down yet.

i havent gotten him to popcorn yet

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

ok he has weeked purred and muttered i think

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Newborn Pup

My piggies can usually last out of the cage about an hour before they have to go back into their cage and do their business. Of course I usually try to extend the amount of time I hold them and then I pay the price. If I am holding Ziggy and he has to go he will put his hiney up over my shoulder and not sit very still so I know what he needs to do. Smore will start making little noises and keeps turning in circles when it is his time to go back in. After time you will get to know how much your piggy can endure. You are lucky to be able to hold your piggy by supporting his bottom and belly. My piggies hate to have their bums held or their bellies touched.

Proud mamma of:
Ziggy (piggie)
Smore (piggie)
rest in peace Jose (iguana)

There is no such thing as a disposable pet
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

i can do about anything to mine. i didnt expect that when i adopted him... i think some of it is just his personality because id find it hard to believe that his old family messed with him that much consittering they never cleaned his cage or waterbottle

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Sounds like things are going good for you and your new addition. Maybe you could for now as you said put him back after 15 mins to go potty and as you get to know him and everything slowely extend the time you keep him out? It may help

Life's not about how to survive the storm, It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Momma to: 2 human children Audree (2) and Jacob (7 mo.)
3 Doggies: Angel (13), Cricket (1), and Diesel (4mo.)
1 Kitty: Mazey (Age unknown)
2 ferrets - Mocha and Marshall
1 bunny - Ice

Working to make a change, one paw at a time!
Volunteer - Skinny Little Buddy's Rescue
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

he just seams so content to be on my lap for so long and i was doing his hair and things and he seams to really like it. so i wasnt afraid i was pushing him too far.. then he peed. hehe i will go slower

[/CENTER]

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aww im sure he is really happy when you do his hair..hehe...im sure he likes it.
And hey...Pee happens! LOL! Pretty soon he will leave a few presents in your lap as well!

Lve Never Fails

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

i just dont wanna worry when i have him running around my room.. maybe i need to buy alot of carpet cleaner!

[/CENTER]

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Ok i really need to learn what is omg mommy im sooo itchy that feels good and omg mom i have to peeeeeee! i was itching him agian and he was jumpin around all squeeking and then peed on me.

I also really need to change his cage, he poos in the corner and then kicks it out of his cage... i just dont have the funds right now.

[/CENTER]

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Kendalle..if your piggie was jumping all around and squeaking while you were itching him & then he peed all over you then that sounds like he was irritated with they way he was being pet.
They can get moody like us and they will sometimes jump around and squeak at you to stop and then pee out of frustration. Be careful cuz sometimes they can turn around and nip at you too. They can be quick.

Dont feel bad , it takes time to learn what your piggie is trying to tell you. Listen for teeth chattering...they also sometimes do that when they are upset. Its a warning that they are about to bite.

If that happens again just talk to im softly and take note of what you were doing at the time...you will learn what piggie is trying to tell you.

What are you using as bedding? If you need to change it and dont have any bedding like Carefresh use newspaper for now and even bunched up paper towels. Piggies are expensive to keep because they do need to have their bedding changed like once a week perhaps more for those who have more than one piggie. If you dont keep the cage clean they can become unhealthy and not be happy and not want to eat.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

aw i thought he was liking it.. he would jump around and then weasel under my hand.. i have carefresh he was making the short little squeeks that were the happy ones on the noises piggies make site. he seamed like he was liking it. but i think he was saying he had to pee. i dont know for sure. he was moving around more a few mins before he peed but i thought he was just more relaxed..

are you saying he peed cause he was mad? cause when he peed he was just sitting in the krick of my arm not hoping around and wheeking he didnt squeel at all

[/CENTER]

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 08:54 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You said this....
Quote:
i was itching him agian and he was jumpin around all squeeking and then peed on me.
so i thought you meant that it happened like that. You didnt mention til now that he was just sitting there and then peed.
Then if that is the case maybe he just wanted to go back in his cage and thats all. Or he just had to pee

It will take time and patience to learn about your piggie. Your doing fine in asking questions..thats how we learn and we all keep learning, it never stops. My pigs confuse me still sometimes!! hehe

Also when you said you "need to change his cage" i didnt know if you meant to change his bedding or the entire cage for some reason. Thats why i asked about bedding.

Hey i think its time you share some more pics of your piggie!!

Lve Never Fails

Tags
doing fine, guinea pig