Odd behavior? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question Odd behavior?

Hey everyone

I've got two very cute Guinea pigs called Pepper and Ziggy. They appear very similar in features, except for their colour, and were together when I bought them (as there were none in any local shelters) so I have reason to believe they may be sisters, or at least somehow related.

They've never exactly shown sisterly behavior though.
It's always been fairly harmless, but I'd never seen this before and I'm wondering if it's normal behavior..

Pepper was chewing on some grass, as was Ziggy when she started eating a little closer to Pepper, and they were now facing each other. Pepper raised her head, very slowly, then turned around quickly and sprayed urine back at the spot were Ziggy was. Luckily, Ziggy got away in time, as she had obviously experienced it before.

Is this normal?

They've always been pretty territorial about who gets which part of the hutch, so all I can put it down to is some sort of 'marking' or perhaps it was just aggression..

R.I.P.
Houdini
&
Sparkles
My two beautiful bunnies that sadly needed to be put to sleep due to Myxomatosis, Christmas 2007.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud to love: Pepper and Ziggy, my two gorgeous Guinea Pigs, and Alphonse, a quiet but beautiful Betta
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 04:33 PM
is a little "special"

Are you sure they are girls? Sometimes males can be more territorial, and Ive never heard of female piggies spraying... Acually, I dont think Ive heard of any pigs spraying. Rabbits spray to mark their territory, so Im guessing thats what your guinea pigs are doing. I would cmpletely scrub out their cage to get rid of all smells, and give both guinea pigs a bath before putting them back in their cage. That usually helps with territorial issues alot.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Rodentologist

Yes, female guinea pigs spray, and it is very common for them to do so when they are annoyed. Male guinea pigs can't spray because of the way their genitals are positioned underneath them. They will also frequently spray males to deter their romantic advances when they aren't in heat.

It is not a marking behavior as they tend to scent mark with their glands and not with urine; I've never found bathing or other "treatments" to reduce it, really, though sometimes if they are being kept in a cage that's too small, adding space will make them less easily annoyed by their cagemates.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 02:46 PM
is a little "special"

Oh OK, I guess I was wrong then! I just thought it was territorial because it is for rabbits, so never mind what I said.
You should probably try getting them a bigger cage then, and see if it gets better.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Tags
behavior, guinea pig