Odd behaviour between male and female - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Question Odd behaviour between male and female

I put Cookie (the new short-haired female) in with Ivan, my male skinny pig. Ivan jumps and kicks whenever I try to pick him up, and Cookie almost always goes to Ivan when I want to pick her up. Also, Ivan sometimes stays outside the house when Cookie is in. Is he trying to "guard" Cookie? Do these mean anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

And I just put some new bedding in their cage, and Ivan started jumping and twisting around in it, and he talked to Cookie and started nudging her (He nudged her when I introduced them too.) There are also scent marks on the wall of the cage...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

baby pigs to be?

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Hello Earthling

In less one of them is fixed... as kendalle said baby pigs.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Uh oh...... I wonder if Cookie was in a cage with males at the pet store.... Oh, yeah, she was... another skinny pig and then a long haired pig (which they didn't know was male or female). Or maybe the little piggies will have Ivan as a Dad..... Cookie isn't "fat", by the way. I felt around her sides, and she's regular feeling. Do you think Ivan would do these things if these weren't his baby piggies? Hehe, I'm getting kinda excited but scared here..... I should remove Ivan when she has her piggies, if she does(?)

I'm afraid that Ivan will bite me, whenever he comes near....He's also bitten when I was holding him and my friend was holding Cookie. When I put their house back (from checking on them, from changing litter) Ivan always comes out and slowly aproaches where my face is looking inside, and he talks so hard he shakes or vibrates! It's a low kind of talk, not really a squeak... I guess its kind of rumbling. If you go on youtube and search "guinea pig rumbling" and look at the second one, thats what it sounds like.

Last edited by Skinnie Pig; 07-22-2009 at 12:32 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Rodentologist

Why are you putting them together to make baby pigs? You don't even have a cage suitable for 2 guinea pigs! Do you know how old the female is? Do you realize that giving birth is extremely hard on guinea pigs? What are you going to do when she gives birth? Dad can't be in there any more or he'll immediately re-impregnate her. Separate them RIGHT NOW. This is such irresponsible behavior.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

you don't get what I'm saying!!!! I WILL get a cage for them, a bigger cage. I'm cleaning it out! I will imediately take her to emergency if she has trouble. Yes, I do have a cage suitable for two guinea pigs- I'm cleaning it out! I want 1 litter and then I spay or neuter one.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Rodentologist

1 litter is enough to kill her. The babies are born fully furred and walking which makes birthing extremely difficult for the mother. In addition, you'll have to provide homes for 2-8 babies.

Have you already started feeding her an appropriate pregnancy diet?

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

I don't even know it shes pregnant yet....I try feeding her lettuce and parsley, but she doesn't eat it. I'm going to buy her hay soon. It isn't usually that a pig will die from that. people across the street successfully bred their guinea pigs (and I didn't feel that I had to, too) but I just want one litter and then that will be it.

Last edited by Skinnie Pig; 07-22-2009 at 02:27 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

they have to have hay at all times

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Jennicat,
You are making assumptions about what our family knows and is capable of. I was sure that Ivan and Cookie were in the process of mating behaviours, however I just didn't want to make false assumptions. We have raised a lineage of yorkshire terriers and numerous other species, and with the help of our vet, are perfectly capable of raising and housing a litter of guinea pig babies. And finding homes for them if needed. we agree with you entirely, regarding the importance of not having unwanted, uncared for animals; if you knew us and our animals, we are in the top 2 % caregivers.
Case closed.. One cannot make assumptions based on quick e-mail talk.

Last edited by Skinnie Pig; 07-22-2009 at 09:38 PM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

And Kendalle, There is hay in there (a hay carpet I bought), and it's been in there since last friday, but I am going to get some "fresh" hay. (I also have hay from the box that the piggies came from.)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 06:50 AM
Rodentologist

I am making assumptions based on the questions that you're asking. A hay carpet is not ok. They need unlimited hay 24/7, every single day. If they're under 1 year old, they need alfalfa hay in addition to a grass hay (timothy or orchardgrass). The hay is not optional. It is the most important thing that they eat, and prevents their teeth from overgrowing. Wood chews and cardboard do NOT do this for guinea pigs. In addition to that, they each need 1 cup of fresh vegetables per day, and a plain pellet designed for guinea pigs.

They cannot be kept in an aquarium. A pair of guinea pigs requires a minimum of 7.5 square feet. The only cage currently on the market that meets these requirements is this one: http://www.midwesthomes4pets.com/cat...nu=0&catid=143

I'm sorry, but having had a dog give birth to puppies is absolutely nothing like a guinea pig giving birth. Guinea pigs have a 20% chance of dying during birth because of the large size of their pups. It is dangerous to them, especially if they're not being fed correctly (no hay, no alfalfa in addition). Furthermore, you don't know the genetics of the animals that you're breeding. Do you know what a lethal white is? What are you going to do if one turns up in your litter because you don't know about guinea pig genetics?

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

You JUST got both of these pigs and have not even had them long enough to know if they are healthy. They are not getting the correct diet. This is very serious! Please do not try to breed them.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 09:21 PM

:C No offense but breeding like this is how animals get genetic diseases easily or still borns happen.

Tags
guinea pig, skinny pig