Olly developed an abscess - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 01:36 PM
I live in a Pigdom

Glad to hear things seem to be getting better. You are still in my thoughts.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thank you! You're the best! I don't know what we'd all do without you!
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Olly has a hernia at the incision site! I took him to the vet to check on his progress, and he still had some swelling on one side. She thinks it's an inguinal hernia. The infection is clear now & I just stopped his antibiotics. We're going to wait a month to give his body some time to really heal & then he'll need surgery to take care of the hernia. I hate the thought of him going under again. Has this happened to anyone? My vet has loads of experience, so I don't believe it's anything she did. I've been so thorough since his surgery, I don't understand how this happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 11:08 AM
I live in a Pigdom

It can happen, it's not happened to me personally however I had a rescue come in that was neutered a year before he was brought to me and deemed healthy and healed from that experience. After being here for 3 months, he developed a hernia in his "sac" that had to be taken care of. He made it through with flying colors and recovered well also.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Wow. I didn't anticipate this one! I was wondering if it was something I had done. My vet said it hasn't happened with any of the other guinea pigs she's neutered - and they have been numerous. It shouldn't be a big deal, just a few stiches. I just worry about anesthesia and the next round of antibiotics. Thanks so much for putting my mind at ease - again! You're the best!
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 03:12 PM
Newborn Pup

I'm sorry about all your troubles with this... we didn't neuter Neil cause he lives alone, and now I'm kinda glad. I really hope the surgery goes well and you don't have to worry anymore, I know it's terrible when they have persistent health problems that seem to go on, and on, and on.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks for the well wishes. Neutering Olly was a hard decision to make since I love him so much & didn't want to risk losing him. It's funny how things turn out. I bought Ginger in anticipation of my sister giving up on "Dolly" after a few months. I knew it would be too much for her to care for him, since she has small children & a full schedule. I thought I'd end up with two females! Still, the little guy is a trooper & they are getting along great. My vet is really wonderful - and I'm confident it's nothing she did. I guess stuff just happens sometimes!

Tags
animal hospital, exotic pets, guinea pig, regular vet