OMG my mom gets me so po'ed - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Angry OMG my mom gets me so po'ed

So my mom walks in after i get home from school and she said she did me a "favor" by bleaching all of my guinea pigs stuff, I told her that you shouldnt use bleach around animals such as guinea pigs and she just snapped at me out of question saying i didnt fill up the water bottle, although they have 2 and one still half full. she just gets me so angry at some points, then she got mad at me again for no reason calling me a P*** head and a a**hole, well what im trying to get at is, you shouldnt use bleach around guinea pigs right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Part of the Pack

ee.. probably not. I've never used it, I just use vinegar and water for my cleaning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

give your love no matter what.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 09:58 PM

As long as she rinsed it off really well it shouldn't be a problem, although I would rather use vinegar and water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 12:09 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

bleach is good if used to super clean and rinse well, such as you had a pig die or get sick from something and really need to clean it out, or you have mites or something

[/CENTER]

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 12:44 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Like everyone else said as long as she rinsed and dried really well it shouldn't be a problem. If you are worried then rinse and dry it yourself again or sit it outside in the sun so the vapors wear off.

I hate to play Devil's Advocate but maybe she thought you weren't up on your cage cleaning. And with the water bottle thing, I have used two before and most of the time the rats only used one water bottle and left the other one alone.

*Missy*
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 12:58 AM

you got point... you should rinse it again...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Betta Bomb

We always had full responsibility of our animals and mom stayed out of it so I can only imagine how frusterating it would be for her to come along and do something potentially dangerous as a "favor". I feel for you here, girl. Maybe she smelled pee or thought you were depriving them of water-but if she lives closely enough shouldn't she know how you take care fo them?? Ask if there was an alternate motif to her "helping" out. Try to avoid the anger since it's only a trigger to have you called mean things again.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 04:30 PM
RAT ADDICT

Bleach isn't harmful if you make sure it is well rinsed.I had to bleach cages in the past after having rat lice.
Sometimes due to illness outbreaks,it is the best thing.But as long as the bleach is completely rinsed off after.

I agree with the others,maybe she thought you weren't up on the cleaning??? I don't think she should of called you names though on the otherhand.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Playful Pup

I haven't used bleach around animals as the smell is enough to put me off, we use washing up liquid and an antibac spray which works fine. All toys are rinsed off throughtly bottles do not get washed using soapy stuff just hot water and a bottle brush.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 06:39 AM

Actually, I was wondering how to totally disinfect all of my degu's things. My guinea pigs just wee on their floor and I can easily clean all of their other stuff. My degus, however, pee all over their wooden shelves and houses. Could I soak them all in vinegar and water do you think? Just a thought...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 05:04 PM

i use bleach to deep clean my rat cages every 2 weeks or so, i just rince it off with a hose after then dry it off well.(and i replace the bedding every 4-5 days) they have never had any bad side effects from the bleach. and you should never let water bottles go completly empty, or even let them go half full. even water can grow bacteria and mildue which is bad for rats and guinea pigs. i dump the old water and refill it every day. its the same way with any fresh food like greens or fruit that i put in there, if it isnt gone by the next day i take it out and replace it with fresh stuff. its not like its hard to do, replacing there water bottle and food takes less 5 minutes right. i understand where your mom was coming from. she shouldnt have called you names though

Last edited by Brighteyed; 07-04-2009 at 05:06 PM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 11:25 PM
Playful Pup

I just use wipes to clean my animal cages a clorox wipes. First I use clorox wipes then then the normal like baby wipes to clean there cage.

Tags
angry mom guinea pigs