Orange Juice? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Orange Juice?

Sorry for all of the threads!!!! I just had a few questions and they were not related,so I just made seperate threads.

I was wondering,can a guinea pig have a little bit of orange juice for extra vitamin C and a treat?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 09:23 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Do not put orange juice in the piggies water bottle. But they do love and will eat oranges. It is very good for them cuz of the vitamin C.
Some piggies will not eat the orange slice right away if they never have had an orange but just keep offering a little slice and the curiosity will get the best of the piggie

I asked the same type of question when i first had my piggie. Take a look at the advice

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f14/a...t-c-34801.html

Also remember this link has good info as well.
Guinea Lynx :: Diet

The best treats are veggies or a romp outside in a safe area where there is clean grass and dandelions Stay away from the stuff they sell and tote as guinea pig treats. These ususally contain some sugar and its not good for piggie.

Lve Never Fails

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Rodentologist

Orange juice is extremely sweet and sugary. They should not have oranges very often anyway, but orange juice often has other ingredients added that I wouldn't chance giving to them, given how difficult it can be to sustain a pig who has gastric problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I did try an orange slice a few days ago and she did like it.

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 11:22 PM
Flunky Emuhead

yeah, I don't think I'd give her orange juice, too much added stuff.. She should be able to get enough c from her veggies. I've heard that bell pepper is loaded with c. (though you might research that and make sure it's safe before feeding it)

2 happy doggies Luke and Hank

2 Kittehs, Smudge and Phoebe aka Noodle

1 Guinea pig , Radar

1 Hedgie, Newman

3 Degus, Jodi, Wanda, and Mel

1 lovely beta fish "Ian"

Edward the gerbil
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

yes, bell peppers are fine to give piggies. The Red ones are very good for them. The green ones are fine and they will eat them too but the red is more nutritious for them.

Again, check the link for what veggies to feed and not to feed

*****----> Guinea Lynx :: Diet <--------*****

Please check out that link.
Whats important is a variety of veggies in their diet.

Lve Never Fails

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 05:49 AM
Rodentologist

All colored bell peppers (orange, yellow, and red) are very high in vitamin C, and are excellent to feed to guinea pigs daily. Green pepper is also an excellent daily food, but has less vitamin C.

A mix of lettuces (minus iceburg), peppers, cilantro, and other leafy veggies is an excellent daily fare. They should be getting approximately 1 cup of veggies per pig, per day.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 09:48 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yes, that is what that link brought out and like mentioned what is important to make sure to give a variety of veggies each day.

Check out that posted link and all the information on that Guinea Lynx website.

Also if you use the search bar here on PT you can find alot of info already posted on the subject of piggie diet/care that I am sure will be helpful.

Lve Never Fails

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Rodentologist

Sorry, just wanted to expound on the GL link a bit. GL is a great resource and they've got wonderful forums, but the dietary link can be a bit huge to take in, especially after you start comparing Ca: P ratios and oxalic acids.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 09:55 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Im sure she will find the link helpful The forums however I do not think are that great for different reasons. Thats just my opinion though.

I hope all piggie owners, new and old, will also take advantage of the search bar because I know that there are many threads where we have already posted information about what to feed our spoiled piggies and their care.
The search bar can be a great tool when used.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Rodentologist

The forums are very up front. I appreciate that. My vet does too. He frequently refers there for medical protocol. I'll take saving my animal's life over niceness any day.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Oh i agree with that last statement.
Although i never stated in my post my reasons for not liking the GL forum much.

Medical info is helpful if one cannot get to a vet quickly and is much appreciated so forums can be useful for situations like that.
I just have reasons and opinions why I like other forums much better than that GL one. Thats all. I never said what they were.

Being upfront in a medical situation when an animals life is at stake should always be appreciated.

Overall the info provided on the Guinea Lynx website is very good.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I will check the link out after.I did look at it briefly,but I have been busy the past few days.I will definatly have a more thorough look at it tonight as well as check the other threads here.

I want the best for Apolla,I really do!!!

* Lisa *

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Newborn Pup

my GP likes to eat orange peels, but only small amts. great for added vitamin c.

Tags
guinea lynx, guinea pig