Picky? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Picky?

Unfortunatly I noticed today that Apolla has not been eating her pellets!

I emptied the FULL dish tonight to add fresh pellets and I watched her.She dug around,looking for a tasty morsel,but since she didn't find any,she totally ignored the pellets!

What can I do?
I know they need pellets,but how can I get her to eat them?

Before she came here she was eating a food that had little bits in it as well as pellets and I think she became dependant on that.I am not sure the brand I have off the top of my head,but it is only pellets.She was eating them,up until now!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 09:45 PM
can't think of one, help

are you staying with the same brand? I switched brands on my bunnies once and my littlegirl bunny literally threw them out, and not gently at all. She sent me quite a message. Since then I've stayed with the same brand, but I have noticed that the pellets vary in color sometimes and my littleboy has been dumping some of them. It may just take some patience for her to figure out that this is what she gets.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 11:37 PM
Flunky Emuhead

As long as she's got timothy hay and fresh veggies she should be fine.. really all the pellets have is more hay and some sprayed on vitamins. My piggy likes to dump over his bowl, so I figure he'll eat what he needs. As long as she's got timothy available most (if not all) the time she should be fine. Actually thee majority of a pig's diet should be that, with the veggies, so the pellets are just a fallback/side dish for when she's out of hay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 happy doggies Luke and Hank

2 Kittehs, Smudge and Phoebe aka Noodle

1 Guinea pig , Radar

1 Hedgie, Newman

3 Degus, Jodi, Wanda, and Mel

1 lovely beta fish "Ian"

Edward the gerbil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Rodentologist

Pellets are not essential to their diet, as long as they're getting unlimited hay and veggies. If she was on a bad quality pellet at her former house, she's likely on pellet strike, as the healthier pellets don't contain things like seeds and nuts (which are tasty, but extremely fatty and can cause choking hazards) or excessive molasses to make it yummy to the pigs.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

So I shouldn't be worried then? She has unlimited hay and gets lots of fruits/veggies.I will still keep filling her dish anyway with pellets.

No,she has a a different brand then what she got before.What she had before had other things besides pellets and when I was reading all about piggies I read that you shouldn't have that kind,so I switched.

* Lisa *

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Rodentologist

I wouldn't worry about it.

The seeds/coloredy mixes of guinea pig food are comparable to Lucky Charms... you try to switch a kid off of Lucky Charms and onto say, Cheerios, and you're likely to meet some resistance.

You're doing the right thing for her. Eventually, she will decide that she can eat those pellets, even though they are not nearly as tasty and sugary as her old pellets.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thanks for your help.

* Lisa *

Tags
guinea pig, guinea pig food, pig food, timothy hay